Badge Number: S715, Sub Branch: Clarence Park


Service Number: 11122
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 3rd Divisional Train
Born: Port Broughton, South Australia, 1892
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Clerk
Died: 20 June 1983, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Peace Court, Stone Shrub,Bed 5, Position 56
Memorials: Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

9 Jun 1916: Involvement Private, SN 11122, 3rd Divisional Train
9 Jun 1916: Involvement Private, SN 11122
9 Jun 1916: Embarked Private, SN 11122, 3rd Divisional Train, HMAT Afric, Adelaide
9 Jun 1916: Embarked Private, SN 11122, HMAT Afric, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement SN 11122
Date unknown: Wounded SN 11122

Help us honour Henry Campbell's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Henry Campbell was the son of Edmund and Elizabeth Campbell of Port Broughton. He was born Port Broughton in 1892. A clerk, he was 23 years old when he enlisted on 23 August 1915. On 11 December 1915 he married Mary Katherine (Kit) Hill.

Henry was appointed to the Australian Army Service Corps and embarked from Outer Harbor aboard HMAT A19 “Afric” on 9 June 1916. He disembarked at Southampton on 14 July. On 25 November he proceeded overseas to France where he was allocated to 25 Australian Service Corps. Henry was taken on strength of HQ 3 Divisional Train on 12 March 1917.

The Train provided horse-drawn transport for the formation known as a Division. It usually comprised a small Train Headquarters, one Headquarters Company, three other Horse Transport Companies and a contingent of other troops, all of the Army Service Corps. When moving and laid out in officially-approved organisation, the Train would occupy 1755 yards of road (1605 metres).

Henry remained with his unit throughout the war and returned to Australia aboard HMAT A23 “Suffolk”, disembarking in Adelaide on 31 May 1919. He was discharged on 17 July 1919.