Ernest Theodore (Ernie) WOOKEY

WOOKEY, Ernest Theodore

Service Numbers: 2314, 1444
Enlisted: 18 November 1914, The SN 1444 was crossed out and 2314 replaced it.
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 59th Infantry Battalion
Born: Great Doddington, Northamptonshire, England, 30 December 1895
Home Town: Ararat, Ararat, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Butcher
Died: Bronchopneumonia, Lung Cancer, Rectal Cancer, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia, 14 May 1956, aged 60 years
Cemetery: Springvale Botanical Cemetery, Melbourne
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

18 Nov 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 2314, 6 Infantry Battalion AMF, The SN 1444 was crossed out and 2314 replaced it.
2 Feb 1915: Involvement Private, 1444, 6th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '8' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Clan McGillivray embarkation_ship_number: A46 public_note: ''
2 Feb 1915: Embarked Private, 1444, 6th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Clan McGillivray, Melbourne
5 Apr 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, 2314, 6 Infantry Battalion AMF, ANZAC / Gallipoli, Ernie survived Gallipoli for nearly six months collecting two gunshots during that time. First in the hand in May and then in the shoulder in June. Once admitted to hospital for 'teeth' in September, he remained in Egypt for eleven months in and out of hospital and training camps.
27 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 2314, 56 Infantry Battalion AMF, Fromelles (Fleurbaix), Ernie arrived on the Fromelles front at the end of that campaign and stayed with the 59th through France until he was gassed and blinded in April 1918. During this year and a half, Ernie had leave twice to England. As he was English born, he met up with one of his brothers, Percy, in London. Percy was in the British Army. Another brother, George, had been killed 12 November 1915 in France. Their brother Tom was in the Royal Marines. Only one brother, Fred, stayed home as he was too young.
28 Mar 1920: Discharged AIF WW1, Private, 2314, 59th Infantry Battalion, Left England 8 November 1818 and arrived in Australia 20 November 1818. He was returned for "Debility". Ernie was blind, shell shocked and full of shrapnel and lived in the Caulfield Hospital for about 17 months until his discharge in March 1920.

Help us honour Ernest Theodore Wookey's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.