William (Soldier Bill) WATSON MM+Bar

WATSON, William

Service Number: 6122
Enlisted: 14 March 1916, Warrnambool, Victoria
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 14th Infantry Battalion
Born: Broadwater, Victoria, 8 July 1881
Home Town: Orford, Moyne, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Motor vehicle accident, Dwellingup, Western Australia, 28 January 1942, aged 60 years
Cemetery: Dwellingup Cemetery
Memorials: Orford & District WW1 Roll of Honour, Orford War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

14 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 6122, 14th Infantry Battalion, Warrnambool, Victoria
1 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 6122, 14th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
1 Aug 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 6122, 14th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Miltiades, Melbourne
26 Sep 1917: Wounded Polygon Wood, GSW (left thigh)
12 Apr 1920: Discharged AIF WW1, Private, SN 6122, 14th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour William Watson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Awarded the Military Medal (www.awm.gov.au);

"For distinguished gallantry and devotion to duty during attack on HINDENBURG LINE near RHINCOURT on 11th April, 1917. This man who is over 40 years of age was having his first experience under fire and did magnificent work. He went across with his Coy in the attack and from 5 o’clock in the morning until late at night he carried wounded from the front line to the Dressing Station across open country swept by M.G. fire. He tended and dressed the wounded while under fire and on two occasions took a Stretcher back to the line by himself and got others to assist him in carrying in the wounded. He did magnificent work all day and saved many lives."

Awarded BAR to the Military Medal (www.awm.gov.au);

"During the operation near ZONNEBEKE on 26th Sept 1917, Pte WATSON displayed bravery of a marked degree; for 16 hours be worked continuously as a Stretcher Bearer. He attended wounded men under extremely heave M.G. fire and enemy shelling. He was eventually sniped as he was helping out a wounded man from the first line. He had been wounded previously but would not leave his duty."