John Mulkeedis (Jack) BRANLEY


BRANLEY, John Mulkeedis

Service Number: 5053
Enlisted: 27 January 1916, Enlisted in Claremont, Tasmania
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 52nd Infantry Battalion
Born: Launceston, Tasmania, 12 December 1894
Home Town: Hobart, Tasmania
Schooling: St Josephs Convent, Devonport
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Killed in action, Belgium, 16 October 1917, aged 22 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Tree Plaque: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Clarence Honour Roll, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

27 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 5053, 12th Infantry Battalion, Enlisted in Claremont, Tasmania
29 Mar 1916: Involvement Private, SN 5053, 12th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres
29 Mar 1916: Embarked Private, SN 5053, 12th Infantry Battalion, RMS Orontes, Melbourne
20 May 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 52nd Infantry Battalion
16 Oct 1917: Involvement Private, SN 5053, 52nd Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres

Help us honour John Mulkeedis Branley's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Elizabeth Allen

John Mulkeedis BRANLEY (Jack) was born on 12th December, 1894 in Launceston, Tasmania - his birth was registered as John Melchiadis BRANLEY

His parents were Patrick BRANLEY and Teresa McMAHON who married in Launceston in 1888 - they were living in New Zealand when John enlisted for WW1 on 27th January, 1916 in Claremont, Tasmania

John was engaged to Rhoda KIMBER who was living in England

He was killed instantly by shell fire on 16th October, 1917 while holding the line in front of Broodseind when on outpost duty and buried where he fell - his name is memorialised on the Ypres Menin Gate Memorial & the Australian War Memorial - he was awarded the British War Medal & the Victory Medal.

Johns brother William Alphonsus BRANLEY (SN3625) 26th Battalion also served and was invalided back to Australia in 1916