Reginald William CULPH

Badge Number: 2974, Sub Branch: Pt Broughton

CULPH, Reginald William

Service Number: 141
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 3rd Field Ambulance
Born: Norwood, South Australia, 1914
Home Town: Port Broughton, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farm labourer
Died: Malvern, South Australia, 13 September 1957, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Mundoora War Memorial, Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

20 Oct 1914: Involvement Private, 141, 3rd Field Ambulance, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '22' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Medic embarkation_ship_number: A7 public_note: ''
20 Oct 1914: Embarked Private, 141, 3rd Field Ambulance, HMAT Medic, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 141
Date unknown: Wounded 141, 3rd Field Ambulance

Help us honour Reginald William Culph's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Reginald William Culph was the son of Reginald William Culph of an unknown address and was born at Norwood in about 1891. A farm labourer at Port Broughton, he was 23  years old when he enlisted on 21 September 1914.

Reginald was appointed to B Section 3 Field Ambulance and embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A7 “Medic” on 20 October 1914. He served at Gallipoli for 2 ½ months before being invalided to Egypt with haemorrhoids and debility.

Admitted to 1 General Hospital in Heliopolis Reginald also suffered several bouts of malaria.

Finally recovered Reginald embarked aboard HMT “Caledonia” with Australian Army Medical Corps Reinforcements to France. Here the cold weather conditions were unkind to Reginald and suffering from pneumonia and albuminuria he was invalided to England where a Medical Board found him “permanently unfit for general service and permanently unfit for home service”.

Reginald embarked from England aboard HT “Wiltshire” on 12 November 1916 and disembarked at Adelaide. On 1 January he was admitted to 7 Australian General Hospital at Keswick before being discharged on 20 April 1917.