Edward George WATERHOUSE

Badge Number: 71827, Sub Branch: STATE

WATERHOUSE, Edward George

Service Number: 17888
Enlisted: 22 January 1917, Port Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Sapper
Last Unit: 1st Divisional Signal Company
Born: Jamestown, South Australia, 13 July 1898
Home Town: Jamestown, Northern Areas, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Bank Clerk
Died: Kidney failure, Repat Hospital, Daw Park, South Australia, 24 August 1974, aged 76 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Beltana & District WW1 Roll of Honor, Blinman & District WW1 Roll of Honor, Blinman Boer War, WW1 & WW2 Honour Rolls, Yorketown Kadina Union Bank WW1 Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 Jan 1917: Enlisted AIF WW1, Port Adelaide, South Australia
9 Nov 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Sapper, 17888, 5th Divisional Signal Company
9 Nov 1917: Embarked AIF WW1, Sapper, 17888, 5th Divisional Signal Company, HMAT Port Sydney, Melbourne
11 Nov 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Sapper, 17888, 1st Divisional Signal Company
20 Sep 1919: Discharged AIF WW1

Help us honour Edward George Waterhouse's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Eddie enlisted 22 January 1917 when he was working as a clerk in the Union Bank in Gawler SA. He was only 18½ years old and needed to get permission from his parents, who were at that time living in Beltana (upper north SA) where his father was the policeman.

Eddie had an elder brother Frederick Edward who was already serving, and was subsequently killed in action in Belgium 4/10/17.

After receiving another letter of permission from his parents to allow active service, he embarked 9/11/17 on HMAT Port Sydney, disembarked 5/1/18 Southampton - spent time in Parkhouse, Clifton and Bedford before embarking at Dover on 07/07/18 to Abbeville, France then marched out to 'Field'. He was in the 5th Divisional Signal Company.

Eddie returned to Australia on Boorara 6/7/19 and was discharged 20/9/19.

Post war he resigned from the Union Bank, and went to work in the north of SA, as a Jackeroo with Beltana Pastoral Company. From this experience he applied for a Soldier Settler lease on a property 20 miles east of Copley - Maynard's Well Station.

He married Martha Frances Jessie McLachlin (Mattie) (1/7/1895 - 13/7/1974) who was working at Puttapa Station as a ladies companion. They had 4 children.

There is much more that could be written about Eddie & Mattie's life. They eventually retired to a home in Dulwich SA, and spent their final years at Aldersgate Retirement Village.

As his granddaughter, I wish I had asked more questions before Pop passed away. He never spoke of his time in the War, but always marched on Anzac Day. - Barbara Macey