Roy Cumestree TROUT

TROUT, Roy Cumestree

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 8 August 1916
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: No. 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps
Born: Red Hill, Queensland, Australia, 27 January 1895
Home Town: Red Hill, Brisbane, Queensland
Schooling: University of Queensland, Australia
Occupation: Agricultural Chemist
Died: Aircraft accident, Coventry, England, 27 July 1917, aged 22 years
Cemetery: Coventry (London Road) Cemetery
174 141
Memorials: Brisbane Grammar School Memorial Library WW1 Honour Board 2, Ithaca War Memorial, Marchant Park Memorial Gates, Queensland Department of Agriculture and Stock Honour Board, University of Queensland WW1 Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 Aug 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Lieutenant General, Officer, No. 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps
25 Oct 1916: Involvement Lieutenant, No. 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '1' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Ulysses embarkation_ship_number: A38 public_note: ''
25 Oct 1916: Embarked Lieutenant, No. 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, HMAT Ulysses, Melbourne
27 Jul 1917: Involvement Lieutenant, --- :awm_ww1_roll_of_honour_import: awm_service_number: awm_unit: 69th Squadron Australian Flying Corps awm_rank: Lieutenant awm_died_date: 1917-07-27

Help us honour Roy Cumestree Trout's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Walter John and Alice TROUT, Victoria Street, Red Hill, Brisbane, Queensland

Lieutenant Roy Trout, whose picture appears on this page, is the eldest son of Mr. W. Trout, and grandson of Mr. R. Trout, ex-M.L.A. for Enoggera. The latter also has a son at present in France with a cycling company, and  another grandson with the Field Artillery. Lieutenant Roy Trout gained a Grammar School scholarship, and after attending there for five years passed the Queensland Junior and Senior Examinations, and matriculated for the University. He then commenced a science course at the University and also was for two years in the agricultural laboratory. While at the Grammar School he took an active and keen interest in military work, obtaining his  commission in 1913 under the late Captain Moran. He later transferred to the 2nd Light Horse. In March last he was selected to attend a course at the Central Flying School, Laverton, where he obtained a pilot's certificate, and passed the "military wings" examination. On completion of this course he was given an appointment as 2nd lieutenant in the No. 2 Flying Squadron, being the only 2nd Light Horse officer to obtain an appointment.

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Trout, of Red Hill, Brisbane, will regret to learn of the death of their son, Lieutenant Roy C. Trout, which occurred in England on July 27. From tho information contained in an official cable message just received, it appears thit Lieut. Trout, who is attached to tho 69th (late 2nd Squadron) Royal Flying Corps, whilst on night air duty on the English coast, met with an aeroplane accident, the result being that the aeroplane nose dived to earth, tho machine eventually catching fire. Lieutenant Trout at the 20th General Hospital shortly afterwards succumbed to wounds received. Lieutenant Trout, who at tho time of his death was only 22 years of age, was the oldest son of Mr. W. J. Trout, and grandson of Mr. Richard Trout, the latter having another grandson and his own son both in active service in France. Lieutenant Trout was a native of Brisbane. He gained a Grammar School scholarship for five years, subsequently passing tho Queensland junior and senior examinations, and matriculating for tho University, at which ho commenced a science course. For two years prior to enlisting he was in the agricultural laboratory. Whilst at the Grammar School he took a keen and active interest in military work, obtaining his lieutenancy commission under the late Captain Moron in 1913 at tho ago of 17 years, being latterly transferred to tho 2nd Light Horse. Immediately on the out break of war. though scarcely 18 years of ago, he started to prepare himself for service abroad, and in March last was "selected as one of the Queensland representatives to attend a course of instruction at the Central Flying School, Laverton, Victoria, where in the short space of seven weeks he was successful in obtaining his pilot certificate, and passed the additional military wings' examinalion, being appointed on completion of his course as first Lieutenant in No. 2 Flying Squadron (the only Queensland officer to obtain this apomtment). In October last he left for England and again underwent a further examination as a night pilot, being transferred to the Royal Flying Corps for night duty on the English coast. He was thw only Australian flight officer chosen as night pilot. His lamentable death has closed what promised to be a brilliant career. General sympnthy will be extended to his sorrowing parents.


Biography contributed by Evan Evans

The summary below was completed by Cathy Sedgwick – Facebook “WW1 Australian War Graves in England/UK

Died on this date - 27th July......Roy Cumestree Trout was born in 1895 at Red Hill, Brisbane, Queensland.

Roy Cumestree Trout received a Commission in the Australian Light Horse as 2nd Lieutenant on 30th June, 1913. He gained his Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificate on 29th May, 1916 at Central Flying School, Laverton, Australia.

Lieutenant Roy Cumestree Trout of 2nd Light Horse Regiment, applied for a Commission in the Australian Flying Corps on 24th October, 1916. He was aged 21 years & 9 months. He arrived in England in December, 1916.

The British Royal Air Force Officer’s Service Records shows that Lieutenant Roy Cumestree Trout was attached to No. 69 Squadron from 26th December, 1916 for Instruction in Aviation. He was on command at No. 13 Reserve Squadron, R.F.C. (Royal Flying Corps) from 8th January, 1917 for Aviation Instruction then on 11th April, 1917 attached to No. 98 Depot Squadron at Rochford for Higher Instruction.

Lieutenant Trout was attached to No. 51 Home Defence Squadron, R.F.C. from 10th May, 1917 then to No. 69 Squadron at South Carlton, Lincoln from 3rd July, 1917.

Lieutenant Roy Cumestree Trout was on command at Wireless & Observers School, Brooklands from 4th July, 1917. He rejoined No. 69 Squadron on completing his course at Wireless & Observers School on 20th July, 1917.

Lieutenant Roy Cumestree Trout died on 27th July, 1917 as the result of a flying accident at Coventry, Warwickshire, England. He had been flying R.E.8. No. A3772 from Coventry Aircraft Acceptance Park at 10.20 am & was to deliver it to Lympne but had instead nose-dived from about 500 feet.

A Court of Inquiry was held at Coventry Aerodrome – Acceptance Park on 29th July, 1917 - “The Court having considered the evidence are of the opinion that Lt. R. C. Trout, met his death through inexperience in flying the R.E.8. machine and possibly through the breaking of the elevator control.” (Full details of Court of Inquiry in my research - see link below)

Brigadier General P. L. W. Herbert, Commanding Northern Training Brigade, R.F.C. wrote to Headquarters, Training Division, Royal Flying Corps on 23rd August, 1917 disagreeing with part of the Court’s findings in the Court of Enquiry & stating that he considered Lieutenant Trout “competent to fly this machine from Coventry to Lymphe, especially in view of the fact he had done a similar journey.”

Lieutenant Roy Cumestree Trout was buried in Coventry Cemetery (London Road), Warwickshire, England.

(The above is a summary of my research. The full research can be found by following the link below)