Sidney O'Carroll SMITH


SMITH, Sidney O'Carroll

Service Number: 918
Enlisted: 18 August 1914, Townsville, Qld.
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: Unspecified British Units
Born: Christchurch, New Zealand, 18 December 1891
Home Town: Townsville, Townsville, Queensland
Schooling: Wellington College New Zealand
Occupation: Bank Clerk
Died: Killed in Action, Delville Wood, France, 25 August 1916, aged 24 years
Cemetery: Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension
I A 19
Memorials: Bank of New South Wales Roll of Honour Book
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

18 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 918, 9th Infantry Battalion, Townsville, Qld.
24 Sep 1914: Involvement Private, SN 918, 9th Infantry Battalion
24 Sep 1914: Embarked Private, SN 918, 9th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Omrah, Brisbane
1 Aug 1915: Involvement British Forces (All Conflicts), Lieutenant, Unspecified British Units

Help us honour Sidney O'Carroll Smith's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

SYDNEY O’CARROLL SMITH was born on 18th December, 1891, at Christchurch, New Zealand, the son of Mr. James Henry and Mrs. Mary Eleanor Smith, and received his education at Wellington College, New Zealand. He joined the Bank’s service at Masterton, New Zealand, on 8th April, 1909; and was transferred to Brisbane on 19th June, 1911; to Townsville, Queensland, on 24th July, 1913; and to Cloncurry, as teller, on 24th June, 1914.

Sydney O’Carroll Smith enlisted at Townsville on 20th August, 1914, with the 45th (Queensland) Battalion, and embarked with the first Australian Expeditionary Force. He was present at the Gallipoli Landing, and was subsequently promoted to the rank of sergeant. In August, 1915, he was sent to England suffering from enteric fever, and was transferred to the 9th Battalion London Rifle Brigade in December, 1915, receiving a commission as second-lieutenant.

He left for France on 10th May, 1916, took part in the Somme battle, and on 24th August, at Delville Wood, he received wounds in the side from which he succumbed on the following day. He was buried at Dernancourt, near Albert. The letters received by his family afterwards showed that his cheery good nature and fine soldierly qualities were much appreciated in the regiment.

Source - Bank of NSW Roll of Honour