Albert Ernest DAVIS

Badge Number: S1817, Sub Branch: Richmond

DAVIS, Albert Ernest

Service Numbers: 2803, 2803A
Enlisted: 20 October 1916, Adelaide, SA
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st Machine Gun Company
Born: Lower Light, SA, 29 June 1880
Home Town: Lower Light, Mallala, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Farming Accident, Pinnaroo, SA, 29 May 1925, aged 44 years
Cemetery: Two Wells Cemetery, S.A.
Memorials: Dublin Lower Light Methodist Honor Roll, Mallala Two Wells Pictorial Honour Roll 2
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

20 Oct 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 2803, 43rd Infantry Battalion, Adelaide, SA
16 Dec 1916: Involvement Private, 2803, 43rd Infantry Battalion
16 Dec 1916: Embarked Private, 2803, 43rd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Berrima, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 2803, 1st Machine Gun Company
Date unknown: Wounded 2803A

Help us honour Albert Ernest Davis's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Mathew Nix DAVIS of Lower Light, SA

PINNAROO. May 29.— Mr. A. E. Davis, who has been farming at Parilla Well for many years, was driving a team of horses, attached to a load of  super on Thursday evening, when he was thrown under the vehicle, and the wheels passed over his body. Death was apparently instantaneous.  An inquest was deemed unnecessary. The deceased has left a widow.

Widespread regret was expressed in Pinnaroo and district oil Friday last when, the news was made public that Mr. A. E. Davis, a well known and highly   respected farmer of Parilla Well had met his death in tragic circumstances. In company with his employee he left Pinnaroo towards evening with a load of super, expecting to reach his destination about 11 p.m. After getting along the track he rode his pony alongside the load and drove the team as well. It appears then that after reaching the vicinity of the farm he made an attempt to manoeuvre the team through a gate, but apparently misjudged the distance between the post and the trolly. The horse received an abrasion, and it is surmised became  fractious and threw Mr. Davis. Unfortunately he fell right under the wheels and his body was frightfully mutilated. Death must have been almost instantaneous. Messrs. E. A. Staker, J.P., Sergeant Koch, and Mr. A. H. Sharrad proceeded to the scene of the fatality. After investigating the  circumstances a verdict of accidental death was recorded, and an order given for burial. Much sympathy is felt for the bereaved widow and  relatives. The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon last at the Two Wells Cemetery, and was largely attended. Rev. B. H. Davidson  conducted the service at the graveside.