John Oliver CLIFTON

Badge Number: P5870, Sub Branch: Kadina

CLIFTON, John Oliver

Service Number: 3115
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 3rd Light Horse Regiment
Born: Port Broughton, South Australia, 7 March 1895
Home Town: Kadina, Copper Coast, South Australia
Schooling: Alford Primary School
Occupation: Farm Labourer
Died: Wallaroo, South Australia, 20 December 1954, aged 59 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Kadina Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Alford District of Ninnes Honour Board, Alford Primary School WW1 Old Boys Honour Board, Alford War Memorial, Bute District Council WW1 Roll of Honor, Port Broughton War Memorial, Tickera War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

5 Feb 1917: Involvement Private, 3115, 3rd Light Horse Regiment, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '1' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Clan MacCorquodale embarkation_ship_number: A6 public_note: ''
5 Feb 1917: Embarked Private, 3115, 3rd Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Clan MacCorquodale, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 3115

Help us honour John Oliver Clifton's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Sharyn Roberts

Son of Thomas CLIFTON and Mary Ann nee STARKS

Biography contributed by tony griffin

John Oliver was the son of Thomas and Mary-Ann Clifton (both deceased) and was born at Port Broughton on 7 March 1895. A farm labourer, he was 21 years old when he enlisted on 29 May 1916.

John was appointed to 24th Reinforcements 3rd Light Horse Brigade and embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A6 “Clan MacCorquodale” on 5 February 1917. He disembarked at Suez on 12 March 1917 and was taken on strength on 23 April. During the month of April John was detached to Cookery School at Ismailia for a course of instruction. 2 months later he was admitted to 14 Australian General Hospital suffering from malaria. A month later he rejoined his unit and was the detached for duty with the Railway Construction detail. In September 1918 he was again admitted to hospital and did not rejoin 3rd Light Horse until after the war had ended.

John embarked from Suez aboard HT “Dunluce Castle” on 17 July 1919 and disembarked at Adelaide on 23 August. He was discharged on 30 September 1919.