John Inglis SMITH


SMITH, John Inglis

Service Number: 2204
Enlisted: 15 March 1915, Townsville, Queensland
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 15th Infantry Battalion
Born: Sydney, New South Wales, May 1895
Home Town: Townsville, Townsville, Queensland
Schooling: Townsville Grammar School, Gatton College, Melbourne Scotch College
Occupation: Draper
Died: Killed in Action, Gallipoli, 8 August 1915
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
No known grave
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Gatton Agricultural College HR, Lone Pine Memorial to the Missing, Townsville Cenotaph, Townsville West State School Memorial Gate
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

15 Mar 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2204, Townsville, Queensland
12 Jun 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2204, 15th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
12 Jun 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2204, 15th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Karoola, Brisbane
2 Aug 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2204, 15th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
8 Aug 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 2204, 15th Infantry Battalion, The August Offensive - Lone Pine, Suvla Bay, Sari Bair, The Nek and Hill 60 - Gallipoli

Help us honour John Inglis Smith's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of John Inglis Smith and Florence Anne Smith, of Sword St., Ascot, Brisbane.

On Friday evening, Mr J. Inglis Smith received the sad news of the death of his second son and namesake, Corporal John Inglis Smith, who was killed in action at the Dardanelles on August 8. The deceased soldier had just turned 20 years of age. Being in the citizens' forces at the outbreak of the war, he went with the Townsville boys to Thursday Island, and was in the expedition to New Guinea in the Kanowna. On his return he was for a time on guard duty at the wireless station and Magazine Island fort at Townsville, but being anxious to see active service, in March last persuaded his parents to let him volunteer for the Australian forces at the front. He joined the sixth reinforcements of the 15th Battalion at Enoggera, and in the camp was made acting-corporal, and passing his examination was confirmed in the rank before he left Australia. The transport in which he travelled left Brisbane on June 12 and Fremantle on June 26. He was only a few days in Cairo, leaving towards the end of July, so that be could only have been, a few days at the front when he met his death. A sad circumstance is that whilst Corporal Inglis Smith was in Cairo his elder brother, Morrison Inglis Smith, who had also volunteered, arrived there. Each brother called at the other brother's camp, but had the hard lack to miss seeing each other. As the elder brother, however, also left Cairo for the Dardanelles soon after, it is just possible they might hare met before August 8. Corporal Inglis Smith, though born in Sydney, wss practically a Townsville boy, as he arrived here at a very early age. He attended the Central and West End State Schools, afterwards, going to the Grammar School and finished his education at Scots College Melbourne, afterwards going into his father's business in Townsvllle. The business premises of Inglis Smith and Co. will be closed today.