Frederick Harold TUBB VC


TUBB, Frederick Harold

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 24 August 1914, Melbourne, Victoria
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 7th Infantry Battalion
Born: Longwood, Victoria, Australia, 28 November 1881
Home Town: Longwood, Strathbogie, Victoria
Schooling: East Longwood State School, Victoria, Australia
Occupation: Grazier
Died: GSW back & abdomen, Belgium, 20 September 1917, aged 35 years
Cemetery: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery
Plot 19, Row C, Grave No.5. His name is located at panel 52 in the Commemorative Area at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, ACT.
Tree Plaque: Mandurah Memorial Pine Trees
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Euroa VC Memorial Park Statues, Keith Payne VC Memorial Park, North Bondi War Memorial, North Brother War Memorial, Winchelsea WWI Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

24 Aug 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Lieutenant, SN Officer, 7th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
24 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Melbourne, Victoria
19 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Lieutenant, SN Officer, 7th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Hororata, Melbourne
6 Aug 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 7th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
7 Aug 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 7th Infantry Battalion, The August Offensive - Lone Pine, Suvla Bay, Sari Bair, The Nek and Hill 60 - Gallipoli
2 Oct 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, AIF Headquarters, Third Ypres
17 Feb 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Major, 7th Infantry Battalion, Breaching the Hindenburg Line - Cambrai / St Quentin Canal
20 Sep 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Major, 7th Infantry Battalion, Menin Road

Help us honour Frederick Harold Tubb's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Frederick Tubb was born at Longwood, Victoria, in November 1881.

Father Harry Tubb and Mother Emma Elizabeth (nee Abbott), Fred lived with his parents and his sister, Elsie Laura Tubb, at St Helena, Longwood East, Victoria.

He left school to manage the family farm, and later became a grazier in his own right.

He was active in the community, being secretary to the local Mechanics' Institute and a member of the gun and tennis clubs.

Previous Service: 

An excellent horseman he served in,

1900 to 1902 - Victorian Mounted Rifles
1902 to 1911 - Australian Light Horse
60th (Princes Hill) Infantry Regiment; and
58th Infantry Regiment (Essendon Rifles) in 1913 (in which he held a commission as 2nd Lieutenant)

Next of kin in service:
Brothers Captain H R Tubb MC and Lieutenant A O Tubb, 59th Battalion Sapper C Tubb

Described on enlisting as 34 years old; single; 5' 6" tall; 9 stone 6 lbs; Church of England

24/8/1914 Enlisted in the AIF and was posted to the 7th Battalion as a 2nd Lieutenant.

19/10/1914 Embarked from Port Melbourne, Victoria on board HMAT Hororata A20
as a Lieutenant (Transport Officer) with the 7th Infantry Battalion, HQ 

He was promoted to Lieutenant in February 1915.

5/4/1915 Embarked on board HT Novian, to join the Mediterranean Expeditionary Forces, ex Alexandria

3/7/1915 Embarked to join battalion on board HMT Scotian 

10/7/1915 joined Divisional Headquarters, Gallipoli

6/8/1915 reached Gallipoli, promoted Captain (gazetted Captain on 8/8/1915) 7th Battalion. On the same day he took over a vital sector of trench at Lone Pine, with orders to 'hold it at any cost'.

Early the following morning the Turks launched a massive attack, advancing along a sap barricaded with sandbags. Although Tubb was blown from the parapet and the barricade repeatedly wrecked, each time it was rebuilt. At one point a large explosion blew in the barricade and Tubb, wounded in the arm and scalp, was left with Corporals Alexander Burton and William Dunstan. He led them into action, shooting three Turks and providing covering fire while the barricade was rebuilt.

9/8/1915 After the attack at Lone Pine, Tubb was evacuated to Britain with a bomb wound to elbow and scalp on board HS Garth Castle

9/8/1915 Awarded VICTORIA CROSS "For most conspicious bravery at Lone Pine Trenches in the Gallipoli."

15/10/1915 London Gazette - Awarded the Victoria Cross

Citation (abridged): "In the early morning of 9 August the enemy made a determined counter-attack on the centre of a newly captured trench held by Lieutenant Tubb. They advanced up a trench and blew in a sandbag barricade, leaving only a foot of it standing. Tubb led his men back, repulsed the enemy and rebuilt the barricade. Strong enemy bombing parties succeeded in twice again blowing in the barricade, but on each occasion Tubb, although wounded in head and arm, held his ground with the greatest coolness, rebuilt it and succeeded in maintaining his position under very heavy bomb fire."

28/1/1916 Placed on Supernumeracy List of Battalion, Ismailia

4/3/1916 Returned to Australia, ex England on board SS Baltic

2/10/1916 Re-Embarked from Port Melbourne on board HMAT A71 Nestor with AIF Headquarters 

16/11/1916 disembarked into Plymouth, England

7/12/1916 proceeded overseas to France 

9/12/1916 resumed duties with AIF Headquarters, France

10/2/1917 to the 4th Army School, France

17/2/1917 Promoted to Major in France, 7th Infantry Battalion

In early 1917, the Germans withdrew to the Hindenburg Line and the 7th Battalion participated in the brief advance that followed and then came to a grinding halt before Bullecourt. The battalion was withdrawn from the front line for training on 9 May 1917 and did not return to action until the Ypres offensive of September. It fought major battles at Menin Road on 20 September 1917. Again Tubb showed great courage, leading his company to its objective.

20/9/1917 gun shot wound to back, penetrating abdomen - received in action admitted to 6th Field Ambulance, Belgium

20/9/1917 died of wounds on admission to 3rd Canadian General Hospital, Boulogne.

Buried in: Lijessenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium. Plot 19, Row C, Grave No.5

Victoria Cross; 1914-15 Star (24833); British War medal (2117); Victory medal (2117); Memorial Plaque and Memorial Scroll (357089).

Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 17/3/2015. Lest we forget.


Biography contributed by Ethan Cavaiuolo

Frederick Harold Tubb was born on November 28th, 1881 in Longwood, Victoria. When he was young, he left school to work on his family’s farm. Tubb was commissioned from the Victorian Mountain Rifles and the 58th Infantry Regiment and was enlisted into the AIF on the 24th of August 1914. Tubb was posted to the 7th Battalion as a second lieutenant and was promoted to lieutenant on the 1st of February 1915. He later reached Gallipoli in July 1915 and was promoted to captain on the 8th of August 1915. He took over a vital sector of the trench at Lone Pine on the same day with orders to ‘hold it at any cost’.

In the early morning of the 9th of August 1915, the Turks advanced along a sap barricaded with sandbags and launched a huge attack. Tubb was blown from the parapet. Each time the barricade was destroyed, it was rebuilt but eventually, enemy bombing parties succeeded in blowing in the barricade twice, and on both occasions, Tubb held his ground and rebuilt the barricade, even while Tubb was under heavy bomb fire and he was wounded in the arm and scalp.

Tubb evacuated to Britain to recover after the attack on Gallipoli and was awarded the Victoria Cross for the action at Lone Pine. Tubb re-joined his battalion in France in 1917 and he took part in the Menin Road attack in Belgium in September 1917. Tubb showed great courage again after the Lone Pine attack and led his company to their objective but he was wounded by shellfire. He was evacuated and later passed away from the wounds he received and blood loss on the 20th of September 1917. Tubb was named on the roll of honour for all of his bravery he showed in Gallipoli during World War 1.

Lest we forget