Herman Ernest BEECKEN

BEECKEN, Herman Ernest

Service Numbers: 3001, 6345
Enlisted: 15 June 1915, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Mitcham, South Australia, Australia, 9 April 1884
Home Town: Birkenhead, Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia
Schooling: Mitcham Public School
Occupation: Plasterer/Labourer
Died: Died of wounds (while POW in German hands), Field Hospital, Bugnicourt, France, 8 April 1917, aged 32 years
Cemetery: Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez
IX. D. 7.,
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Ballarat Australian Ex-Prisoners of War Memorial, Elliston War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

15 Jun 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3001, Adelaide, South Australia
14 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 3001, 16th Infantry Battalion (WW1), Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
14 Sep 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 3001, 16th Infantry Battalion (WW1), HMAT Ballarat, Adelaide
28 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 6345, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
28 Aug 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 6345, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Anchises, Adelaide
8 Apr 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 3001, 10th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Herman Ernest Beecken's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Their only child was born nearly four weeks after his death. His wife later remarried.

Buried:  Military  Cemetery,  Bugnicourt,  France


Official news has been received that Lance-Corporal Herman Ernest Beecken died of wounds on or about April 8 last whilst a prisoner of war. He was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Beecken, of Mitcham, and the husband of Mrs. N. Beecken, of Fletcher-road, Largs Bay. He  was educated at the Mitcham Public School. He enlisted June 15, 1915, and sailed soon afterwards for Egypt. He was at the evacuation of Gallipoli Peninsula, and returned home soon after on sick leave. He again left for active service on August 28, 1916, and was sent to France, where he was taken prisoner on April 8. He was highly respected by all who knew him." - from the Adelaide Advertiser 04 Aug 1917 (nla.gov.au)