Ernest Alfred John MOONEY


MOONEY, Ernest Alfred John

Service Number: 1984
Enlisted: 28 January 1915, Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 51st Infantry Battalion
Born: Hahndorf, South Australia, 20 August 1895
Home Town: Mount Barker Junction, Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Killed in Action, France, 16 August 1916, aged 20 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
No known grave, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux, Picardie, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Mount Barker Soldiers' Memorial Hospital Roll of Honor, Mount Barker War Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial (Australian National Memorial - France)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

28 Jan 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
29 Apr 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1984, 11th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
29 Apr 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1984, 11th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Hororata, Fremantle
16 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 1984, 51st Infantry Battalion, Battle for Pozières

Help us honour Ernest Alfred John Mooney's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Mr. R. Mooney, of Mount Barker Junction, has been advised that his eldest son, Private E. A. J. Mooney, was killed in action in France about August 15. He left Western Australia on April 20, 1915. After a few months' fighting on Gallipoli he was wounded and invalided to England. He was later sent to France, where he was in the trenches about five weeks. He was in his 21st year. A younger brother has enlisted." - from the Adelaide Advertiser 20 Sep 1916 (



The late Lance-Corporal E. A. J. Mooney was tbe eldest surviving son of Robert Mooney, of Mount Barker Junction. He was killed in action in France between August 14 and 16. He enlisted in Western Australia at the beginning of 1915 whilst he was employed at Kalgoorlie in the mines. After spending some time in Egypt he was sent to Gallipoli, and after being for 10 weeks in the trenches, he was wounded in the head and afterwards contracted enteric fever. For about six months he was put of action and after quite recovering he rejoined his battalion in Egypt. From there he was sent to France and was fighting some time before he was reported killed. His death came as a sad blow to many relatives and friends, of whom he had a large number in the Mount Barker district. He was 21 years old on August 20, 1916. A younger brother is on his way to Europe." - from the Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser 20 Oct 1916 (