Magnus MCDONALD

Badge Number: 18131, Sub Branch: Brighton
18131

MCDONALD, Magnus

Service Number: 245
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 1st Machine Gun Company
Born: Port Broughton, South Australia, Australia, 29 June 1893
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Butcher
Died: Springbank, 19 June 1957, aged 63 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: AIF Cemetery, West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide
Section: KO, Road: 19A, Site No: 40
Memorials: Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

14 Apr 1916: Involvement Private, SN 245, 1st Machine Gun Company
14 Apr 1916: Embarked Private, SN 245, 1st Machine Gun Company, HMAT Ceramic, Sydney
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Driver, SN 245

Help us honour Magnus McDonald's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Magnus McDonald was the son of Alec and Emily (nee De Vere Greaves) McDonald of Port Broughton.

 

Magnus was born at Port Broughton on 29 June 1893. A butcher, he was 21 years old when he enlisted in Liverpool, New South Wales on 13 December 1915.

Appointed to 2nd Reinforcements 1 Machine Gun Coy he embarked from Sydney aboard HMAT A40 “Ceramic” on 14 April 1916 and disembarked at Suez on 16 May. Two weeks later he embarked from Alexandria and disembarked at Plymouth, England on 11 June. Magnus proceeded overseas to France on 22 February 1917 and was posted to 1st Anzac Corps Troop Support Column. His civilian skills were utilised with a short attachment to 4th Field Butchery. On 19 September 1917 Magnus was taken on strength of 2nd Division Train and posted to 16 Coy Australian Army Service Corps. Six days after the armistice was signed Magnus was admitted to hospital in Abbeville suffering from influenza. He was invalided to England and admitted to Southern General Hospital. On 31 March 1919 Magnus embarked aboard HT “Khyber” for his return to Australia. He disembarked in Adelaide on 9 May and was discharged on 7 July 1919.                        

 

 

Read more...