Thomas John (Tom) STACEY

STACEY, Thomas John

Service Number: 390
Enlisted: 22 August 1914, Mount Morgan, Queensland
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born: Warwick, Queensland, 21 November 1894
Home Town: Mount Morgan, Rockhampton, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Grocers assistant
Died: Natural causes, Brisbane, Queensland, 30 January 1955, aged 60 years
Cemetery: Mount Thompson Memorial Gardens & Crematorium
Location: Columbarium 12, Section: Section 2
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 390, Mount Morgan, Queensland
24 Sep 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 390, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
24 Sep 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 390, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Star of England, Brisbane
9 May 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 390, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, ANZAC Gallipoli
1 Jan 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Driver, 2nd Light Horse Regiment
4 Jun 1917: Transferred AIF WW1, Driver, 1st Light Horse Brigade Train
18 Nov 1917: Transferred AIF WW1, Driver, 2nd Light Horse Regiment
26 Feb 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Driver, SN 390, 2nd Light Horse Regiment

Help us honour Thomas John Stacey's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Paul Trevor


Private Tom Stacey, of Warwick, writing to his brother from Ma'adi, Egypt, says:-
We were put off at Egypt rather unexpectedly; we received word about three days before arriving. It was a good trip over, as smooth as a billiard table all the way. After leaving Melbourne we called at various ports to pick up fresh stores and water, but did not leave the boat until arriving at Alexandria, where we disembarked, and then put horses and stores on the train for Cairo, which is about five hours' ride. Then we had a march of about eight miles to camp, which is situated on the edge of the great Sahara desert. We are within about ten miles of the Pyramids. They can be seen very plainly from here. The infantry are camped quite close to two Pyramids. It was a beautiful sight to see us coming across, a sight that may never be seen again.

There were many boats from Australia and from New Zealand; we ran three abreast with our flagship, and always with warships as escorts. You must have read about the Emden being sunk by the Sydney at Cocos Island. The Sydney was one of our escorts at the time, and the first thing that alarmed us was her leaving early In the morning at full speed. By dinner time we received news that the Emden was sunk. Our transports should have passed the spot where the Emden was coaling that morning, but our course was changed, and we passed on the opposite side of the island. There was great rejoicing aboard the day she was sunk, and we had a half-holiday. About two days before that the Emden passed within twenty miles of us, but as luck happened we were sailing with out lights and the wireless was quiet so they did not notice us. I will tell you a little of how we spent our time on the boat. There were the horses to be looked after, so there was a stable party told off every week to go below and attend to them. There were different other duties to be performed, and those who had nothing to do had to fall in for drill. The tucker which we got was very good, and plenty of it. We were issued hammocks for sleeping in, which were slung on the troop deck as it was too stuffy below, and more slept on the saloon deck.

In our camp here there are the four regiments of light horses and Army Medical Corps, Army Service Corps, and Artillery. When we arrived at camp we were not allowed to ride our horses for a week, but they did not buck after the spell they had. Fruit and vegetables are very cheap here with the exception of bananas; they cost about 1 1/4 d. apiece, but oranges can be bought for 4d. per dozen. They are giving us plenty of leave; 20 per cent, of the men are allowed out every night and on Saturday and Sunday afternoons the same number are allowed off. The whole brigade of light horse paraded through Cairo on December 23. It was a splendid turn-out, and took seven hours for us to do the march. Cairo is a beautiful city and a very gay place.' from Warwick Examiner and Times 3 Feb 1915 (


'Mr. H. J. Stacey, accompanied by his mother, left by Friday's mail for Brisbane to meet Driver T. J. Stacey, who has just returned after 4½ years' service.'

'Troopers Fred Hart (son of Mr. John Hart, Warwick) and Tom Stacey (son of Mr. Stacey, Warwick), both of the Australian Light Horse, and who are original Anzacs, were among the returning soldiers who passed through Warwick on Thursday last (Boxing Day).' from Warwick Examiner and Times 30 Dec 1918 (


Welcome Home.-In the Protestant Hall on Tuesday evening next, the officers and members of Lord Roberts Tent, I.O. Reehabites, are giving a welcome home social to two of their returned members, Drivers F. H. Hart and T. J. Stacey, both original Anzacs who returned to Warwick a few days ago. These young men are Warwick natives, and a big roll-up of members and friends is expected. Tickets at 1s each are being sold to defray expenses.' from Warwick Examiner and Times 4 Jan 1919 (