Leonard Augustine (Len) MAHONY

Badge Number: S75, Sub Branch: kilburn/State

MAHONY , Leonard Augustine

Service Number: 12207
Enlisted: 31 August 1915
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 6th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia , 1894
Home Town: Port Broughton, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Wheelwright
Died: Natural causes, Myrtle Bank, South Australia, 2 March 1980
Cemetery: Enfield Memorial Park, South Australia
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

31 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Gunner
28 Jan 1916: Involvement Gunner, SN 12207, 6th Field Artillery Brigade
28 Jan 1916: Embarked Gunner, SN 12207, 6th Field Artillery Brigade , HMAT Themistocles, Melbourne
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Driver, SN 12207

Help us honour Leonard Augustine Mahony 's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Leonard Mahony was the nephew of Clement Aloysius Mahony of Port Broughton and grandson of the late James Mahony and Susan Mahony also of Port Broughton. 


Len was born in Broken Hill in about 1893. A wheelwright employed at Storr’s Blacksmiths in Port Broughton, he was 22 years old when he enlisted in Adelaide on 31 August 1915.

Len was appointed to 3rd Reinforcements 6 Field Artillery Brigade and embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT A32 “Themistocles” on 28 January 1916. After landing in England he was firstly taken on strength of 2 Division Ammunition Column and then transferred to 6 Field artillery Brigade which embarked from Alexandria on 17 March 1917 and disembarked at Marseilles on 23 March.  In April Len was sick with influenza and only 6 days after returning to duty contracted german measles and was placed in an isolation hospital. In May, only one day after returning to duty he was again hospitalised with myalgia. He served with 6 Field Artillery throughout 1917 and in August was granted 10 days leave in England. In June 1918 he was again stricken with influenza and was invalided by hospital ship to England and admitted to hospital. In October he returned to France and rejoined his unit.

With the war ended Len proceeded to England for non military employment. He was granted 3 months leave with pay and subsistence to learn coachbuilding at the business of J. B. Stevenson in Glascow.

On 18 July 1919 Len finally embarked from England aboard HT “Takada” and disembarked in Adelaide on 4 September. He was discharged on 27 October 1919.