James Walter SEXTON

SEXTON, James Walter

Service Number: 174
Enlisted: 24 August 1914, Sydney, New South Wales
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 1st Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Chaldon, England, 11 April 1881
Home Town: Paddington, Woollahra, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Professional Soldier
Died: Died of wounds, France, 13 September 1918, aged 37 years
Cemetery: St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Baulkham Hills William Thompson Masonic School War Memorial, Sydney United Grand Lodge Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

24 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Sydney, New South Wales
18 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Battery Sergeant Major, 174, 1st Field Artillery Brigade, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1,

--- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '3' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Argyllshire embarkation_ship_number: A8 public_note: ''

18 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Battery Sergeant Major, 174, 1st Field Artillery Brigade, HMAT Argyllshire, Sydney
13 Sep 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Major, 1st Field Artillery Brigade, "The Last Hundred Days",

--- :awm_ww1_roll_of_honour_import: awm_service_number: awm_unit: 101 Howitzer Battery awm_rank: Major awm_died_date: 1918-09-13

Help us honour James Walter Sexton's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"Capt James Walter Sexton, Artillery Training Depot... Capt Sexton, a professional soldier in the Imperial Forces since September 1898, embarked as 174 Battalion Sergeant Major (BSM) with the 1st Field Artillery Brigade (1 FAB) on 18 October 1914 from Sydney aboard HMAT Argyllshire (A8) for Egypt. The battalion landed at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. In mid-August 1915 BSM Sexton was commissioned and promoted to 2nd Lt and later that month was transferred to the 2nd Field Artillery Brigade (2 FAB). 2nd Lt Sexton was wounded in action on 29 November 1915 and was evacuated to Cairo for treatment and recuperation. While in Cairo he was promoted to Lieutenant (Lt). When his wounds became septic he was evacuated to Australia in April 1916 for further treatment. After recovering from his wounds Lt Sexton was posted to B Howitzer Battery in late July 1916. In early September 1916 he was promoted to Captain (Capt) and later that month embarked with 117th Howitzer Battery aboard HMAT Aeneas (A60) for Plymouth, England. Capt Sexton spent twelve months with the Artillery Training Depot at Larkhill... Capt Sexton proceeded to the Western Front where he joined 2 FAB near Ypres on 25 November 1917. In May 1918 Capt Sexton was transferred to 1 FAB and promoted to Major (Maj). Maj Sexton was wounded in action near Foucaucourt on 28 August 1918 and was evacuated to Rouen where he died of these wounds on 13 September 1918. He was aged 39 years." - SOURCE (www.awm.gov.au)