Walter Broughton WILSON

Badge Number: S9264, Sub Branch: Payneham

WILSON, Walter Broughton

Service Number: 966
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 27th Infantry Battalion
Born: Redhill, South Australia, 4 May 1893
Home Town: Red Hill, Mid North, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: 20 November 1980, aged 87 years, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Enfield Memorial Park, South Australia
Memorials: Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

31 May 1915: Involvement Private, 966, 27th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '15' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Geelong embarkation_ship_number: A2 public_note: ''
31 May 1915: Embarked Private, 966, 27th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Geelong, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Sergeant, 966, 27th Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Wounded 966, 27th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Walter Broughton Wilson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin


Walter Broughton, was the sons of George Moore and Mary Anne (nee Davidson) Wilson of Clements Gap.

Walter Wilson was the second son of George and Mary.  He was born at Redhill in 1893.  With previous service with A Squadron 24 Light Horse, Walter, a farmer, was 21 years old when he enlisted at Keswick on 13 February 1915.

Walter was appointed to 27 Battalion and embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A2 “Geelong” on 31 May 1915 and disembarked Suez. With the 27th Walter landed at Gallipoli in September and remained until the evacuation in December. From Egypt Walter embarked from Alexandria on 15 August 1916 and disembarked in Marseilles on 20 March. On the afternoon of 6 August 27 Battalion marched to Tara Hill and bivouaced for the night. During the night the enemy shelled Tara Hill and it was most likely it was here that Walter suffered shell shock. He was admitted to 4 General Hospital in Camiers. Once recovered Walter was removed to England on 28 October to do duty with 7 Training Battalion. He returned to France on 5 June 1917, was promoted to Sergeant, and rejoined his unit. On 4 October 27 Battalion was in the Ypres area of Belgium and during an attack on German positions was severely wounded by a gunshot in his right leg. Walter was invalided to England and admitted to 1 Southern General Hospital. It would be 5 months before Walter returned to his unit in Belgium. On 10 June 1918 27 Battalion successfully attacked German positions at Sailly-Le-Sac but Walter was wounded for the third time. With a gunshot wounds to his chest and left thigh he was again invalided to England and admitted to Red Cross Hospital in Christchurch. Four months later, with the war almost at an end, Walter returned to France.

Walter embarked from England aboard HT “Port Macquarie” on 23 March 1919 and disembarked in Adelaide on 21 May. He was discharged in Adelaide on 21 July 1919.

Walter's three brothers, 5089 LCpl Peter Roy Wilson,5097 Leonard Davidson Wilson and 62369 Pte Wilfred Wilson also served.

Walter’s personal WW1 diary is kept in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra.