Percy Harold EVANS

Badge Number: 7815, Sub Branch: Port Broughton

EVANS, Percy Harold

Service Number: 4706
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 2nd Machine Gun Battalion
Born: Port Broughton, South Australia, 4 May 1894
Home Town: Port Broughton, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Port Broughton, South Australia, 19 February 1945, aged 50 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Port Broughton Cemetery
Memorials: Alford District of Ninnes Honour Board, Alford War Memorial, Bute District Council WW1 Roll of Honor, Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

11 Apr 1916: Involvement Private, SN 4706, 27th Infantry Battalion
11 Apr 1916: Embarked Private, SN 4706, 27th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Aeneas, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, SN 4706, 2nd Machine Gun Battalion
Date unknown: Wounded SN 4706, 2nd Machine Gun Battalion

Help us honour Percy Harold Evans's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Percy Evans was the son of Hugh and Mercia Evans of Port Broughton and was born at Port Broughton in 1894. A farmer, he was 21 years old when he enlisted on 2 February 1916.


Percy was appointed to 12th Reinforcements 27 Battalion and embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A60 “Aeneas” on 11 April 1916. After training in England he proceeded overseas to France on 4 July 1916 but developed scabies and was hospitalised. It was 2 months later when he joined 27 Battalion in Belgium. On 20 September 1917 the Germans counterattacked the 27 Battalion’s position at Westhoak Ridge twice, at 11am and 6pm. It was on this day that Percy received a severe gunshot wound to his left thigh. He was invalided to England and admitted to a military hospital at Landgate.

On 7 February 2018 Percy returned to France and joined 27 Battalion a week later before being transferred to 2nd Machine Gun Battalion. On 2 September 1918 was wounded for a second time when his unit made an advance that included the capture of Allaines. With a gunshot wound to his right arm he was taken from the field. He rejoined 2 Machine Gun Battalion on 17 October.   

Percy embarked from Liverpool aboard HT “Nestor” on 20 May 1919 and disembarked at Adelaide on 29 July. He was discharged on 14 August 1919.