Service Number: 1802
Enlisted: 7 July 1915, Keswick, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 4th Machine Gun Company
Born: Hackney, South Australia, 11 April 1895
Home Town: Goodwood, Unley, South Australia
Schooling: Goodwood Public School & Nackara Public School
Occupation: School Teacher
Died: Meningitis, France, 10 January 1917, aged 21 years
Cemetery: St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen
St Sever Cemetery Extension, Haute-Normandie, France
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Goodwood Public School WW1 Roll of Honor, Goodwood St George Anglican Church Memorial Tower, Peterborough Nackara & Partoo Roll of Honor, South Australian Education Department Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

7 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1802, Keswick, South Australia
11 Jan 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 1802, 32nd Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '17' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Borda embarkation_ship_number: A30 public_note: ''
11 Jan 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 1802, 32nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Borda, Adelaide
10 Jan 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 1802, 4th Machine Gun Company, --- :awm_ww1_roll_of_honour_import: awm_service_number: 1802 awm_unit: 4th Australian Machine Gun Company awm_rank: Private awm_died_date: 1917-01-10

Help us honour Ernest Henry Polkinghorne's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Private Ernest Henry Polkinghorne, who died in the 11th Stationary Hospital, was the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Polkinghorne, of Cheltenham. He was 21 years of old, and was educated at the Goodwood and Nackara Public Schools. After being trained at the Teachers' Training School, he conducted the Pyap West, Mulka, and Mungerrany schools. From the latter place he came to enlist in the A.I.F. After three weeks in camp he was stricken with meningitis. On his recovery he sailed for Egypt on January 10, 1916. He was in Heliopolis Hospital for a little while. Later he went to France, where, after six months' hard fighting he died on January 10, 1917, from an attack of meningitis. He was loved and respected by a large circle of friends." - from the Adelaide Chronicle 03 Feb 1917 (