George Ernest DEMOLE


DEMOLE, George Ernest

Service Number: 791
Enlisted: 4 January 1915
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 10th Light Horse Regiment
Born: Woodville, SA, 1881
Home Town: Unley Park, City of Unley, South Australia
Schooling: St. Peter's College
Occupation: Metallurgist
Died: Killed In Action, Gallipoli, 7 August 1915
Cemetery: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery, Gallipoli
Sp Mem A 3
Memorials: 10th Light Horse Regiment Memorial WA, Glenelg and District WW1 & WW2 Honour Board, Hackney St Peter's College Fallen Honour Board, Unley Arch of Remembrance, Unley St. Augustine's Church Roll of Honour, Unley Town Hall WW1 Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

4 Jan 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 791, 10th Light Horse Regiment
19 Feb 1915: Involvement Private, SN 791, 10th Light Horse Regiment, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
19 Feb 1915: Embarked Private, SN 791, 10th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Itonus, Fremantle
7 Aug 1915: Involvement Corporal, SN 791, 10th Light Horse Regiment, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli

Help us honour George Ernest Demole's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


George Ernest De Mole a farmer from Western Australia was born at Woodville, South Australia in 1880. His father George Edward De Mole was secretary to the South Australian Marine Board for many years and secretary to the Honorable C. C. Kingston during his time in office as Attorney-General of South Australia. George junior was educated at St Peter’s and in December 1897 sat for, and passed the Senior Public Examination.

After leaving the School, he qualified as a metallurgist and for a time worked in Townsville, Queensland before returning to South Australia to work as an assayer for the cement works at Brighton.

Before moving to Quairading, Western Australia to take up farming in 1911, he had served a year part time with C Company, Australian Garrison Artillery. 

At thirty four year years of age, George enlisted in Perth, Western Australia in January 1915 and joined the 3rd quota of reinforcements for the 10th Light Horse Regiment. Following a short period of training at Blackboy Hill the 3rd quota sailed from Fremantle aboard HMAT Itonus on 19 February 1915.

After joining the unit in Egypt he sailed from Alexandria in May, was appointed lance corporal at Anzac in July, promoted to corporal on 1 August then killed in a charge at the Nek six days later.

His body was recovered and buried in Shrapnel Terrace on Russell’s Top and his identification disc, now held at the Australian War Memorial, was returned to his family.

However, like so many others, the location of his grave was lost over time, and he is today remembered with honour in Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.