Roydon Hamilton RHODES

Badge Number: 19364, Sub Branch: Semaphore

RHODES, Roydon Hamilton

Service Number: 683
Enlisted: 17 November 1915, Adelaide, City of Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 8th Machine Gun Company
Born: Adelaide, City of Adelaide, South Australia, 22 August 1891
Home Town: Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Prince Alfred College, Kent Town
Occupation: Bank clerk
Died: Natural Causes, 26 November 1981, aged 90 years, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Payneham Cemetery
Payneham Cemetery
Memorials: Adelaide Rowing Club WW1 Pictorial Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

17 Nov 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, City of Adelaide, South Australia
21 Jun 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 683, 8th Machine Gun Company, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
21 Jun 1917: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 683, 8th Machine Gun Company, HMAT Suevic, Melbourne
18 Oct 1920: Discharged AIF WW1
Date unknown: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 683, 13th Machine Gun Company, Third Ypres

Help us honour Roydon Hamilton Rhodes's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Roydon Hamilton Rhodes lived at St Peters and attended Prince Alfred College before joining the Bank of New South Wales in 1908.  In this capacity he was posted around the State with the Bank over the next five years, being  variously posted to the Adelaide city branch, Port Adelaide Broken Hill and Mount Gambier branches.

When he enlisted on 17 November 1915, he was 24 years old.  He listed his mother, Mrs G.E. Rhodes of Fourth Avenue St Peters as his next of kin.

He was enlisted into the 8th Machine Gun Company, attahced to the 8th Brigade in the 5th Division.  He embarked for overseas with the 12th Reinforcements from Melbourne on 21 June 1917 aboard HMAT Suevic.

Roydon Rhodes saw action in France with the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, which was a consolidation of the 4th, 12th and 13th Machine Gun companies.  Roydon finished the war as a Corporal and returned to Australia on 18 September 1919