George Alexander DRYSDALE

DRYSDALE, George Alexander

Service Number: 2325
Enlisted: 13 January 1916
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 4th Light Horse Brigade Machine Gun Squadron
Born: Homewood, Yea, Victoria, 12 October 1895
Home Town: Yea, Murrindindi, Victoria
Schooling: Yea Primary School
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Yea Hospital, Yea, Victoria, , 12 May 1988, aged 92 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Yea Public Cemetery
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

13 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2325, 4th Light Horse Regiment
18 Apr 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2325, 4th Light Horse Regiment, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '2' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Itria embarkation_ship_number: A53 public_note: ''
1 Jul 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2325, 4th Light Horse Regiment, Egypt and Palestine - Light Horse and AFC Operations
1 Jan 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2325, 4th Light Horse Brigade Machine Gun Squadron, Egypt and Palestine - Light Horse and AFC Operations

Help us honour George Alexander Drysdale's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Val Sparnaay

Yea Chronicle (Yea, Vic. : 1891 - 1920), Thursday 3 January 1918, page 3

News From the Trenches Mr A. Drysdale, of Dairy Creek has received the following letter from his son, Private George Drysdale, written in Palestine;"' We have been kept pretty brisk lately owing to so many going to hospital and rest camps; but most of them came back last night. This means less work, as when one of the Light Horse goes into hospital those remaining behind have to look after his horse, and pickets are oftener. We have been living well since the mail and parcels came in. I am dead lucky at getting parcels. I seem to get nearly every parcel, bar one, that has been sent to me. It is very warm over here in the daytime, but its cold enough at night. We were issued another blanket last night and waterproof sheets to make a tent of. We've put four together, so we have not got a bad tent. The rainy season will be on us again soon. The pieces of paper you cut out of the "Age" newspaper about Palestine don't give you much news. That piece about the Anzace marching 30 miles over limestone ridges in a duststorm in the night and blew up a Turkish bridge was a fact, for I was in it. It was a long march - one not to be forgotten. I have a photo of that bridge. They don't tell you much about the work we do over here. Often such stunts as a 30 mile march are done. We started on one yesterday, but only got 15 miles. We went out another morning about 3 o'clock and got back at 3 o'clock the next day. We don't often see much of the Turks, though their artillery put a few over at times. So do ours. One horse got shot through the shoulder the other day. I have lost both my horses. It's a grand thing to see all the troops at night - it's just like a town lit up. Our planes brought another Taube down the other day. We have got the Taubes beaten now, I'm glad to say, for they were too good for us some time ago. Our new General (Allemby) is not going to make a mess of things. He has everything well prepared. He was in charge of the retreat from Mons, so he is no mug. In the last stunt we were out on, some of the lads caught a German spy dressed up as English officer. His days are over by now. He looked just like one of our officers. They are always catching them."