Lancelot Ashley LEWIS

LEWIS, Lancelot Ashley

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 24 November 1914
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 3rd Light Horse Regiment
Born: Burra, South Australia, 25 September 1885
Home Town: Burra (SA), Goyder, South Australia
Schooling: St Peter's College, Adelaide, South Australia
Occupation: Pastoral Inspector
Died: Natural causes, Glen Osmond, South Australia, 13 June 1938, aged 52 years
Cemetery: Burra Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Adelaide Rowing Club WW1 Pictorial Honour Board, Burra District WW1 Honor Roll, Hackney St Peter's College Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, SN Officer, 3rd Light Horse Regiment, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
22 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, SN Officer, 3rd Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Port Lincoln, Adelaide
24 Nov 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1
26 Oct 1917: Discharged AIF WW1, Major, 3rd Light Horse Regiment

Help us honour Lancelot Ashley Lewis's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Lancelot Lewis embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A17 Port Lincoln on October 22, 1914. Promoted to Lieutenant on February 1, 1915, and promoted again to the rank of Captain when he joined the MEF at Gallipoli on May 13, 1915, Lancelot was wounded in action at Gallipoli on May 28, 1915, by a severe gun-shot to the chest. He was transported via HS Galeka to No.17 General Hospital at Alexandria.
On August 20, 1915, Lancelot reported sick to hospital with enteritis. He was transferred to Endsleigh Palace (Hotel) Hospital for Officers, 25 Gordon Street, Endsleigh Gardens, England, which had been converted into a 100 bed hospital in July 1915. He returned to duty in Egypt on January 11, 1916, but was again admitted to hospital at Sohag, Egypt, on March 23, 1916, suffering a mild case of paratyphoid. Wounded in action once more, this time at Rafa El Arish, Egypt, on January 9, 1917, by a gun-shot to the right head, neck and wrist, while serving with the Anzac Mounted Division, he was admitted to 14th Australian General Hospital, Abyssinia. The medical report stated he suffered 7/8 haemorrhages over six weeks after which the wounds became healthy and the haemorrhaging stopped. He also had right facial paralysis, right spinal paralysis, and his speech was impaired.
On May 21, 1917, Lancelot embarked aboard the Neurlia from Suez, Egypt, for a six month change to Durban, South Africa, and on August 26 he embarked from Cape Town aboard HMAT A71 Nestor to return to Australia. His appointment was terminated on October 26, 1917, with a War Pension of £4/15/- per fortnight.

Excerpt from Michael Coligan Norwood Men Who Served, 2015.


Died at his residence "Benacre" Glen Osmond, aged 52 years