Harry Formby MOORE MBE, MiD

MOORE, Harry Formby

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 10 July 1915, Keswick, South Australia
Last Rank: Captain
Last Unit: 32nd Infantry Battalion
Born: Mount Barker, South Australia, 16 December 1891
Home Town: North Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: St. Peter's College, Adelaide
Occupation: Clerk
Died: Natural Causes, North Adelaide, South Australia, 6 November 1927, aged 35 years
Cemetery: North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, S.A.
Memorials: Hackney St Peter's College Honour Board, North Adelaide Christ Church Roll of Honour, North Adelaide Queens School Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

10 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Keswick, South Australia
18 Nov 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lieutenant, SN Officer, 32nd Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
18 Nov 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Lieutenant, SN Officer, 32nd Infantry Battalion
29 Dec 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, SN Officer, 32nd Infantry Battalion
8 Jan 1919: Discharged AIF WW1

Help us honour Harry Formby Moore's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Born on the 16th of December, 1891, in Adelaide, Harry Formby Moore had two brothers and one sister. He grew up living in North Adelaide and was educated at St Peter's College in Adelaide.

He enlisted on the 10th of July 1915 and then on the 19th of August 1915 he placed an application in for a commission. Embarking in Adelaide on the 18th of November 1915, on the HMAT Geelong (A2) he was appointed as a Lieutenant with the 32nd Battalion.

Arriving in Egypt he served on Major-General Cox’s staff for a short while before he was taken to the 3rd Australian General Hospital with Dysentery where he stayed for just over a month recovering. On the 29th of May, 1916 Lieutenant Harry Moore was transferred to the 5th Australian Divisional Head Quarters.

He moved to France with the rest of the 5th Australian Division in mid 1916 and afterwards was the aide-de-camp (secretary and confidential assistant) to General J W McCoy. He was promoted to the rank of Captain on the 29th of December 1916. However, from January 1917 onwards Captain Harry Formby Moore’s health began to fail. First, on the 3rd of January, 1917 he was admitted to hospital as sick before being transferred and admitted the 2nd Red Cross Hospital on the 7th of January suffering from Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

On the 13th of January he was sent to England to recover where he spent the next three months doing. He was discharge from hospital on the 12th March, 1917 were he placed on the permanent supernumerary list. From the 17th of March, until the 9th of November, 1917 he worked as an adjutant at the 8th Training Battalion.

On the 10th of November, 1917 he was given a place as an adjutant at Number 2 Australian Command Depot at Weymouth. While servicing here, however, it was common for him to have Catarrhal attacks which produced slight bronchitis. In early November he had a serve attack of Pleurisy and was finally considered unfit for any other service was sent home to Australia.

On the 13th of August, 1918 his name was brought to attention of the Secretary of War and as a result he was later awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE.) He was discharged from the army on the 8th of January 1918; however, as he never enjoyed full health again, he could not take up farming as he had hoped to. He died in his home on the 6th of November, 1927. He was 35 years old. When he was in the army he was considered very popular and had many friends.

1914/15 Star: 7567

British War Medal: 7704

Victory Medal: 7641


Nathan Rohrlach