Badge Number: S70408, Sub Branch: State Sub Branch


Service Number: 33
Enlisted: 19 August 1914, Morphettville, South Australia
Last Rank: Second Lieutenant
Last Unit: Unspecified British Units
Born: Adelaide, South Australia, 5 November 1890
Home Town: Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Queen Adelaide and Geelong State Schools Victoria
Occupation: Law Clerk
Died: Natural Causes, 27 August 1968, aged 77 years, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Adelaide Members of the Legal Profession & Students at Law WW1 Honour Board, Adelaide University of Adelaide WW1 Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 33, 10th Infantry Battalion, Morphettville, South Australia
20 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 33, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ascanius, Adelaide
20 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 33, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1, Enlisted at Morpehettville Racecourse, Adelaide
25 Apr 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 33, 10th Infantry Battalion, ANZAC / Gallipoli
29 Apr 1915: Wounded Private, 33, 10th Infantry Battalion, ANZAC / Gallipoli
17 Jun 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 10th Infantry Battalion, ANZAC / Gallipoli, Guy Fisher was returned to duty on 17 June, promoted on 29 June and evacuated on 28 August with dysentery via Mudros, Malta to the UK
29 Jun 1915: Promoted AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, 10th Infantry Battalion, At ANZAC Gallipoli
2 Jan 1916: Transferred Second Lieutenant, Unspecified British Units, Guy Fisher took his discharge from the AIF while recuperating in hospital in the UK. He was commissioned onto the Royal Garrison Artillery and was later posted to India. He returned to Adelaide following the war, presumably at his own expense having forfeited his return passage when he transferred to the RA.
1 Feb 1919: Discharged AIF WW1

Help us honour Guy Fisher's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Steve Larkins

Guy Fisher was an articled Law Clerk living in Hyde Park south of the Adelaide CBD when war broke out.  He was among the men who enlisted amost as soon as Morphetville Racecourse camp opened, as evidenced by his two digit service number.

Enlisted into A Company of the 10th Battalion, he trained and embarked with them on 20 October 1914, bound for the Middle East.  During teh sea journey he was admitted to the ship's sick bay with Measles, in late November.

He became one of the A Company Scouts, who were to perform the role of skirmishers advancing forward of the main part of the Battalion.

He is one of nine men photographed together at what appears to be Mena Camp in Egypt.  These men and their stories typify the fate of the men who were landed at Gallipoli on ANZAC Day 1915.  Four were killed at or soon after the Landing.  Guy Fisher was wounded and evacuated.  Three of the survivors of ANZAC were commissioned.  Of the three, one, Wilfid Jose was to die in action two years later.  Arthur Blackburn went on to win a Victoria Cross at Pozieres.  John Gordon trnasferred to the Australian Flying Corps and became an Ace (ie 5 or more victories) air gunner and later as a pilot as well.  Eric Meldrum survived the war but not the peace, taking his own life in 1922.

The Scouts were charged with striking out to seize Gun or Third Ridge following the landing.  That task proved harder than could have been imagined when their orders were struck. 

Guy Fisher's war service was brought to a premature halt when he sustained a gunshot would to the elbow and evacuated to Egypt on 29/30 April 1914.  He was returned to the Battalion on 20 June June and promoted to Lance Corporal on 29 June 1914.

By high summer, disease had become a major issue becasue of poor samiationand hygiene issues arising from the large numbers of unburied dead, particularly after Lone Pine.  On 29 August he was evacuated with dysentery, via the 2nd Field Ambulance, initially to Mudros, then Malta and eventually to the United Kingdom.  He met his future wife while recuperating and took his discharge from the AIF and a Commission in the Royal Garrison Artillery before being posted to India.

He returned to Australia in 1919 settling in Adelaide and completing his legal training.

His practice was at 33 Pirie Street in Adelaide

He applied for and was awarded his Gallipoli Medallion in 1967.

"The Flowers of the Forest"

Arthur BLACKBURN (/explore/people/930)

Guy FISHER (/explore/people/373586)

John GORDON (/explore/people/198723)

Wilfid JOSE (/explore/people/173634)

Eric MELDRUM (/explore/people/55797)

Philip ROBIN (/explore/people/9135)

Francis STOKES (/explore/people/60171)

Malcolm TEASEDALE-SMITH (/explore/people/190689)

Thomas WHYTE (/explore/people/170704)


Compiled by Steve Larkins 2013