David Dominic DOLLARD


DOLLARD, David Dominic

Service Number: 1400290
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR)
Born: Barmera, South Australia, 22 August 1926
Home Town: South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Not yet discovered
Died: Killed In Action, Korea, 17 November 1952, aged 26 years
Cemetery: United Nations Memorial Cemetery, Busan, Korea
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Korea United Nations Memorial Cemetery Wall of Remembrance, Naracoorte Korea and Vietnam Roll of Honor, Naracoorte War Memorial, Townsville HB - 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment
Show Relationships

Korean War Service

5 Jul 1952: Involvement Australian Army (Post WW2), Private, SN 1400290
5 Jul 1952: Involvement Private, SN 1400290, 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR)
17 Nov 1952: Involvement Private, SN 1400290, 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR)

Help us honour David Dominic Dollard's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by John Edwards

"Second Last Shell Killed Pte. Dave Dollard

Private Dave Dollard was killed on a Korean hillside on Monday, November 17, by the second last shell of an enemy bombardment. This is revealed in a post script added to a letter to his mother by Private Keith McGregor twenty minutes after his mate was killed. Dave Dollard and Keith McGregor were both popular members of Echuca Football Club and had been fighting in neighboring platoons in Korea. He had actually seen the shell land which killed Dave Dollard and badly wounded another digger, Keith McGregor wrote. "I had just come back from lunch and we were being shelled. I saw a shell hit a dug-out in No. 10 platoon's area and Dave and another chap were inside. The other chap was badly wounded and Dave was killed," Keith wrote. "A bit of a shock when your mate gets it, but that's the way it goes. It was the second last shell they put over too, and it has stopped now," he added. 

In an earlier part of his letter, which was written over a period of several days, Keith mentioned: Dave came in to see me last night (Thursday, November 13). He was on a fighting patrol and came up to be briefed. "Dave goes on leave next week and I may be going with him," Keith said in part of the letter written on the Friday." - from the Echuca Riverine Herald 29 Nov 1952 (nla.gov.au)