Arthur Gerald BAGOT GC, DSC, MID

BAGOT, Arthur Gerald

Service Numbers: W73103, W73103
Enlisted: 25 April 1942
Last Rank: Captain
Last Unit: Volunteer Defence Corps (SA)
Born: Walkerville, Adelaide, South Australia, 26 April 1888
Home Town: Piawaning, Victoria Plains, Western Australia
Schooling: St Peters College, Adelaide and Geelong Grammar School, Victoria, Australia
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Perth, Western Australia , 12 November 1979, aged 91 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia
Memorials: Hackney St Peter's College Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Apr 1918: Involvement Lieutenant

World War 2 Service

25 Apr 1942: Involvement Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Captain, W73103, 9th (SA) Battalion Volunteer Defence Corps (VDC), Homeland Defence - Militia and non deployed forces
25 Apr 1942: Enlisted Wongan Hills, WA
25 Apr 1942: Enlisted W73103
15 Oct 1945: Discharged Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Captain, W73103 , Volunteer Defence Corps (SA)

Help us honour Arthur Gerald Bagot's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Christopher Michael BAGOT and Eleanor Mary nee HAWKER

GC (Original award: Albert Medal) DSC

Date of indicent 12 April 1918

On 12 April 1918, an explosion occured in the engine room of HM Motor Launch 356, and the forward tanks burst into flames.  The officer and some of the crew were blown overbard by the explosion, and the remainder were quickly driven aft by the flames and were taken off in a skiff.  By this time the flames were issuing from the cabin hatch aft, and there was much petrol burning on the surface of the water.  It was then realised by the crews of adjacent vessels that the after petrol tanks and the depth charge were being attacked by the fire, and might explode at any moment.  While others were seeking shelter, Sub Lieutenant Bagot and another officer jumped into their dinghy, rowed to the wreck, got on board and removed the depth charge, thereby preventing an explosion which might have caused serios loss of life amongst the crowd of British and French sailors on the quay.