Roy Charles Austin DESLANDES


DESLANDES, Roy Charles Austin

Service Numbers: V125361, VX105949
Enlisted: 18 April 1940, Seymour, Victoria
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 29th/46th Infantry Battalion AMF
Born: Fitzroy, 9 December 1920
Home Town: Fitzroy, Yarra, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Painter
Died: Killed in Action, Gusika, Papua New Guinea, 6 December 1943, aged 22 years
Cemetery: Lae War Cemetery
Tree Plaque: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

18 Apr 1940: Enlisted Citizen Military Forces (CMF) / Militia - WW2, Private, SN V125361, 29th Garrison Battalion, Seymour, Victoria
5 Oct 1942: Transferred 2nd AIF WW 2, Private, 29th/46th Infantry Battalion AMF
25 Aug 1943: Promoted 2nd AIF WW 2, Corporal, 29th/46th Infantry Battalion AMF
6 Dec 1943: Involvement 2nd AIF WW 2, Corporal, SN VX105949, 29th/46th Infantry Battalion AMF, New Guinea - Huon Peninsula / Markham and Ramu Valley /Finisterre Ranges Campaigns

Help us honour Roy Charles Austin Deslandes's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by John Edwards

The Deslandes Sports Oval in Nagada, PNG was named in honour of VX105949 Corporal R.C.A. Deslandes, D Company, 29/46th Infantry Battalion, who was killed in action while charging a Japanese machine gun position near Gusika on 06 Dec 1943

"During the advance from the Huon Peninsula last December, the Japanese were making a savage stand near the
Masaweng River, which is about 13 miles north of Finschhafen. Within an hour of zero, when one company went into action. Signaller E. L. L. Cressington, of Albert Park, and Lance-Corporal K. C. Killalea, of Wagga, were wounded. At this stage the Japanese were holding up the advance from the jungle with a light automatic weapon. Corporal R. C. Deslandes, 23, of Fitzroy, became the hero of the day, but he gave his life to capture the enemy post. Leading in his men, Deslandes took the Bren gun after successive members of the crew had been put out of action. Deslandes, holding a grenade in one hand for emergency, grabbed the gun, and with Private L. A. Pike, of North Fitzroy, as No. 2 gunner, continued the advance. But Deslandes fell with the burst of an enemy grenade. Pike surviving with marks from the blast on him." - from thed Sydney Morning Herald 04 Apr 1944 (