Arthur Trevor JORGENSEN


JORGENSEN, Arthur Trevor

Service Number: QX60848
Enlisted: 29 April 1944, St Ives, New South Wales
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 2nd/31st Infantry Battalion
Born: Toowoomba, Queensland, 17 April 1925
Home Town: Toowoomba, Toowoomba, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Not yet discovered
Died: Killed in Service (airplane crash), Dutch New Guinea, 18 September 1945, aged 20 years
Cemetery: Port Moresby (Bomana) War Cemetery, Papua New Guinea
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Dakota Transport A65-61
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

29 Apr 1944: Enlisted 2nd AIF WW 2, Private, SN QX60848, St Ives, New South Wales
30 Apr 1944: Involvement 2nd AIF WW 2, Private, SN QX60848
18 Sep 1945: Involvement 2nd AIF WW 2, Private, SN QX60848, 2nd/31st Infantry Battalion, Borneo - Operation Oboe July - August 1945

Help us honour Arthur Trevor Jorgensen's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by John Edwards

"Errol Jorgensen is packing his bags for New Guinea as he prepares to bury his brother for a second time. Just after the end of World War II, his 20-year-old brother Trevor, who was badly wounded in the landing of Balikpapan at Borneo, was transferred from the Morotai hospital to a waiting RAAF plane. He was going home, but he never made it. He was one of 10 Queenslanders on board the Dakota A65-61 that crashed into the Carstenz Ranges in Papua, killing all on board. Mystery surrounded the ill-fated flight until an American missionary sighted the wreckage in 1967. Hindered by an altitude of 14,200 feet (4328m) the Air Force attempted a limited recovery and in 1971, 25 years after the crash, held a formal military funeral for the crash victims at the Port Moresby Cemetery.

Now in 2005, 60 years after the crash, another formal military funeral is to be held on August 10. The Air Force has now recovered more human remains from the wreckage. It's also taken all these years to prove there was a 29th passenger on board — Lieutenant Alun Jones, who hitched a ride on the plane at the last minute.  He, too, will now be buried. Mr Jorgensen admits he feels a bit apprehensive about going to Port Moresby for the service.

"I reckon they've had one commemoration service, they should of left it at that," he said. Either that he says or the plane should have been left undisturbed as their last resting place. Wing Commander Rowley Tompsett says the situation has changed. PT Freeport Indonesia is now operating one of the world's largest copper mines just 10km southeast of the crash site.

"Once it was made known to us that there were still remains on the crash site and that crash site was accessible to members of the public, then it was rather difficult to leave them there because that's not treating them with the respect they deserve." - SOURCE (