John Matthew MCGLADE


MCGLADE, John Matthew

Service Numbers: 105, V81537
Enlisted: 24 September 1914
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 23 Garrison Battalion (VIC)
Born: Belfast, Co Antrim, Ireland , 9 January 1884
Home Town: Orbost, East Gippsland, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Architect
Died: Illness, Australia, 2 March 1943, aged 59 years
Cemetery: Springvale War Cemetery, Melbourne, Victoria
Springvale War Cemetery 1.T.B.8.
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

24 Sep 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 105, 8th Light Horse Regiment

World War 1 Service

25 Feb 1915: Involvement Private, SN 105, 8th Light Horse Regiment
25 Feb 1915: Embarked Private, SN 105, 8th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Star of Victoria, Melbourne
7 Aug 1915: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, SN 105, 8th Light Horse Regiment, The Nek
8 Dec 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, 8th Light Horse Regiment
19 Apr 1917: Wounded AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 105, 8th Light Horse Regiment, GSW left leg/thigh
29 Oct 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Corporal, 8th Light Horse Regiment
6 Apr 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 105, 8th Light Horse Regiment, 3rd MD

World War 2 Service

13 Oct 1939: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Corporal, SN V81537, 23 Garrison Battalion (VIC)
13 Oct 1939: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Private, SN V81537, 23 Garrison Battalion (VIC)
2 Mar 1943: Discharged Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Corporal, SN V81537

Help us honour John Matthew McGlade's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From How We Served
The final resting place for; - 105 & V81537 Corporal John Matthew McGlade of Orbost and Swan Reach, Victoria had been employed as an architect when he enlisted for War Service on the 24th of September 1914.

John was allocated to the 8th Light Horse Regiment 1st AIF, and was embarked for Egypt and further training on the 25th of February 1915, and was with his Unit when it was committed as reinforcements for the Gallipoli campaign on the 16th of May. By July he had been evacuated sick to Mudros Island suffering from the effects of diarrhea, and following his recovery he was sent back to Gallipoli to re-join his Unit.

On the 7th of August, John with his Squadron when it was ordered to go; over the top; during the charge on the Turkish trenches at The Nek, and was one of the luckier ones from his Regiment, having sustained a gunshot wound to the arm, and was able to reach the safety of the Australian trenches.

Returned to Egypt for hospitalization, John recovered to be deemed fit for further service and re-joined his Unit following the end of the campaign in January 1916. From January, John’s service during the desert campaigning against the Turkish forces, would be continuous, aside minor bouts of sickness.

John was again wounded in action on the 19th of April 1917, sustaining a gunshot wound to his thigh. John was returned to service at the start of June, having been temporarily taken on strength with the 3rd Light Horse Training Regiment. Between June and August, John was sent to England, and was eventually returned to his Regiment on the 27th of November.
Aside short periods away from his Regiment, John’s in the field service was to be continuous,and following the end of the War, John departed Egypt on the 22nd of December 1918 for his repatriation back to Australia, and following his return he was officially discharged from the 1st AIF on the 6th of April 1919.

With the start of a Second World War, John again presented himself for service on the 13th of October 1939, and would see home service with the 12th Garrison Battalion, before being transferred to the 13th Garrison Battalion where he would be posted to the 17th Garrison Battalion at the Tatura Prisoner of War Camp, and later being posted to the Murchison Prisoner of War Camp, Victoria.

On the 25th of November 1943, whilst serving with 23rd Garrison Battalion, John was evacuated sick, suffering from jaundice, and was admitted into the 115th Australian General Hospital (Heidelberg).

Corporal John McGlade succumbed to sickness, and following his passing on the 2nd of March 1943, at the age of 59, he was officially interred within the Springvale War Cemetery, Victoria.