Arthur Francis ADAMS MM


ADAMS, Arthur Francis

Service Number: 1806
Enlisted: 12 January 1915, 4th reinforcements
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 12th Infantry Battalion
Born: Patersonia near Launceston, Tasmania, Australia, 26 June 1890
Home Town: Alonnah, Kingborough, Tasmania
Schooling: Patersonia State School, Tasmania, Australia
Occupation: Bushman
Died: Illness, France, 7 December 1918, aged 28 years
Cemetery: Etaples Military Cemetery
Plot XLVII, Row C, Grave No 2,
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Bruny Roll of Honour, Nunamara War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Jan 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1806, 12th Infantry Battalion, 4th reinforcements
19 Apr 1915: Involvement Private, SN 1806, 12th Infantry Battalion
19 Apr 1915: Embarked Private, SN 1806, 12th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Argyllshire, Fremantle
27 Nov 1918: Honoured Military Medal, German Spring Offensive 1918
7 Dec 1918: Involvement Sergeant, SN 1806, 12th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Arthur Francis Adams's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Stephen Brooks

Son of John George ADAMS and Elizabeth nee AUSTIN

Arthur Francis Adams, a bushman, was one of the first to enlist from Bruny Island Tasmania and landed at Gallipoli in June 1915, where he was on active duty until the evacuation.

In early 1916, along with the rest of the AIF, Arthur Adams went to the Western Front, in France.

Sergeant Adams was wounded in action on 27 February 1917 and admitted to hospital in Edmonton with severe gun shot wounds to the head.  He returned to battle on 22 May 1917 in France, and was promoted Temporary Sergeant on 15 July 1917. Later that year he attend a course of instruction at Command School, then went back to France on 10 January 1918.

Sergeant Adams received a Military Medal for “gallant conduct and leadership at Merteren on 23 April 1918 when his platoon commander had been wounded. He succeeded in keeping his men together and checked any inclination to retire in the face of withering mortar gun fire. He was able to assist in the recovery of the wounded out in front. His leadership was splendid and his example had a great effect on his men”.

Arthur Adams was admitted to 3rd Australian Field Ambulance, France on 24 November 1918 suffering from sciatica. He was then transferred to 12th Casualty Clearing station and then to Ambulance Train and was admitted on 26 November 1918 to 4th General Hospital, Camiers. On 2 December 1918 he was reported to be dangerously ill, and died on 7 December from bronchopneumonia.

Sergeant Adams’ brother Private Percy Arnold Adams died on 24 May 1916 from wounds received in action in France.