William Martin BERMINGHAM MC

BERMINGHAM, William Martin

Service Number: 3016
Enlisted: 5 July 1915, Liverpool, NSW
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: 24th Machine Gun Company
Born: Oamaru, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand, 1894
Home Town: Sydney, City of Sydney, New South Wales
Schooling: St Patricks School, Oamaru, NZ
Occupation: Hairdresser
Died: Died of wounds, France, 17 February 1918
Cemetery: Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension
Plot II, Row D, Grave 40
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

5 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3016, 1st Infantry Battalion, Liverpool, NSW
8 Oct 1915: Involvement Private, 3016, 1st Infantry Battalion
8 Oct 1915: Embarked Private, 3016, 1st Infantry Battalion, HMAT Warilda, Sydney
2 Apr 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, 45th Infantry Battalion (WW1)
24 Apr 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, 1st Machine Gun Company
9 Aug 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Corporal
23 Aug 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Sergeant
24 Mar 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant
25 Sep 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Lieutenant
30 Oct 1917: Honoured Military Cross
17 Feb 1918: Involvement Lieutenant, 24th Machine Gun Company

Help us honour William Martin Bermingham's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Elizabeth Allen

William Martin BERMINGHAM was born in Oamaru, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand in 1894

His parents were Michael BERMINGHAM & Mary O'CONNOR who married in New Zealand in 1887

He had previously served in the Oamaru Royal Cadets in NZ before he came to Australia and enlisted in Liverpool, NSW on 5th July, 1915 & embarked with the 1st Infantry Battalion, 10th Reinforcements on the HMAT Warilda from Sydney on 8th October, 1915

William died of wounds in France on 17th February, 1918 and is buried in the Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension in France - his name is memorialised on the Australian War Memorial

He was awarded a Military Cross on 30th October, 1917

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of machine guns in the front trenches.  When two of his guns were blown up, four men being killed and three buried, he assisted in digging the men out and despite heavy shelling obtained new guns from headquarters.  Later when the position was again shelled he supervised the withdrawal of his guns and the removal of the wounded.  Commonwealth Gazette no. 150  24th September, 1918