Arthur Justin Sanford HUTCHINSON


HUTCHINSON, Arthur Justin Sanford

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 3 November 1914, Melbourne, Victoria
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 58th Infantry Battalion
Born: Wodonga, Victoria, 25 August 1894
Home Town: Hamilton, Central Highlands, Tasmania
Schooling: Launceston CofE Grammar and Duntroon Military College
Occupation: Soldier
Died: Killed in Action, France, 19 July 1916, aged 21 years
Cemetery: VC Corner Cemetery and Memorial, Fromelles, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

3 Nov 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, Melbourne, Victoria
11 Jan 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Lieutenant, 9th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Karroo, Melbourne
11 Jan 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lieutenant, SN Officer, 9th Light Horse Regiment, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
14 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lieutenant, 9th Light Horse Regiment, ANZAC Gallipoli
28 Oct 1915: Promoted AIF WW1, Captain, 3rd Light Horse Brigade Machine Gun Squadron
19 Jul 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Major, 58th Infantry Battalion, Fromelles (Fleurbaix)


Arthur Justin Sanford HUTCHINSON was born 25th August, 1894 in Wodonga, Victoria
His father was Arthur Edward HUTCHINSON and mother Lilian Tynte BROWNE

Articles from the Newspapers

Examiner-Launceston 8th May, 1920

A GALLANT TASMANIAN -MAJOR HUTCHINSON'S DEATH. It will be remembered by the many friends of the Rev. Arthur Hutchinson, rector of the Hamilton parish, that his eldest son (Major Justin Hutchinson) fell in the battle of Fromelles, better known as the attack at Armentieres in July, 1916. For a long time the secrecy of war kept a veil drawn over the details of this sad page in the history of the Australian Imperial Forces. Accounts have now been published telling the story in stirring language of "our most glorious failure." In it the bravery and daring of the young Tasmanian officer (Major Hutchinson), who died gloriously whilst leading his men against tremendous odds, are pictured. The part referring to his gallantry will be read with interest by his many friends. "General Elliott received official news of the failure of the 61st Imperial Division (on the right) at about 7.30 p.m., by which time he was also aware that the 59th and 60th Battalions were badly cut up, and quite unable to advance without assistance. On receipt of information at 7.52 that he could use two companies of the 13th to support his attack, in con-junction with the attack of the 184th Imperial Brigade on the Sugar loaf, he took immediate steps to make the necessary arrangement. Command of the attack was entrusted to MajorJustin Hutchinson. Few more gallant episodes than his dashing, hopeless assault exist in the annals of any army in the world. The attack of the 61st Imperial Division had been abandoned (without the battalion knowing it), and the Sugar Loaf defences were thus enabled to concentrate the whole of their organised machine-gun fire on the one thin Australian line which now endeavoured to penetrate it. With wonderful dash the companies pressed on, losing at every step, but undaunted to the end. They reached the remnants of the 59th. and 60th Battalions, where they lay grimly waiting in their shallow improvised positions. They caught them up and carried them on towards the enemy by the impetus of their own heroic charge. Impeded by broken ground and shell holes, the thinning line searched brokenly forward, reeling under the enfilade, enduring everything but the thought of failing. It was in vain. At the enemy wire the fire became hellish, irresistible. MajorHutchinson perished glorlously, close to the German parapet. The attack melted into nothingness."Major Hutchinson was only 21 years of age at the time when he made the great sacrifice. He had entered Duntroon Milltary College three years previous to the war, and showed great promie of a distinguised career as a soldier. For his conspicuous bravery he was recommend-ed for the Victoria Cross, but it is thought probable that his commanding officer was killed, as his relatives never received it

The North Western Advocate & Emu Bay Times - 4th August, 1916

Among the 'missing' under the head of Victoria in the 190th casualty list appears the name of Major A . Justin S Hutchinson, the elder son of the Rev. A. E. Hutchinson, rector of Hamilton. Mr. Justin Hutchinson was educated at the Church Grammar School, Launceston, and at the end of 1911 obtained by competitive examination the position of Tasmanian student for that year at the Royal Military College, Duntroon, and entered the college in 1912. He graduated from the college in November, 1914, and received a commission in the A.I.F. as lieutenant in charge of the machine gun section of the 9th Light Horse (South Australia). He saw service for several months at Gallipoli during which he had some very narrow escapes. He was promoted to captain shortly after his 21st birthday, and was transferred a few months ago into the 58th Battalion (infantry), and was later promoted to the rank of major. Major Hutchinson who is not yet 22 years of age, was officially reported as missing on July 20 last. It is supposed, though not definitely, known, that he was at the British front in France.

Showing 2 of 2 stories