Albert Hugh GALLOWAY


GALLOWAY, Albert Hugh

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 20 August 1915, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Second Lieutenant
Last Unit: 32nd Infantry Battalion
Born: Eastwood, South Australia, 19 March 1888
Home Town: Unley, Unley, South Australia
Schooling: Pultney Street School
Occupation: Salesman
Died: Died of wounds, France, 16 February 1917, aged 28 years
Cemetery: Bernafay Wood British Cemetery, Montauban
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, St Peters All Souls Anglican Church Honour Board WW1, St Peters Heroes War Memorial, Unley Arch of Remembrance, Unley Town Hall WW1 Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

20 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
27 Jun 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, SN Officer, 32nd Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
27 Jun 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, SN Officer, 32nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Malakuta, Adelaide
16 Feb 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, 32nd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Albert Hugh Galloway's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Mr and Mrs. J. J. Galloway, of Harrow-road, St. Peters, have been notified that their eldest son, Lieutenant Albert Hugh Galloway, died in France from the effect of poison gas. Lieutenant Galloway left Adelaide in June, 1916. He spent most of his time at Salisbury Plain training. He left England for France early in January. He was 23 years of age, and was educated at Pulteney-street school, and afterwards joined the firm of John Martin & Co. He was in their employ up to the time of his enlistment. He was of a jovial disposition, and was much liked by all who knew him. He left a widow and two children. His brother, Private L. J. Galloway, left for the front last month." - from the Adelaide Chronicle 17 Mar 1917 (



Pte. LESLIE JAMES GALLOWAY, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Galloway, Harrow road, St. Peters, was killed in action on October 14. He was in his twenty-fifth year, and left for the front in February, 1917. After training at Codford he left for France early in August. Before enlisting he was with the Commonwealth Bank, Kalgoorlie. Pte. Galloway's elder brother (Lieut. A. H. Galloway) was killed early in February. Both had a wide circle of friends here and in Western Australia, and were highly esteemed." - from the Adelaide Observer 17 Nov 1917 (