Hugh Davies JOHN


JOHN, Hugh Davies

Service Number: 3123
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Gunner
Last Unit: 7th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Cresselly, Pembrokeshire, Wales, 19 July 1892
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Died of wounds, Red Cross Hospital, Sittingbourne, Kent,United Kingdom, 30 October 1918, aged 26 years
Cemetery: Minwear (St. Womar) Churchyard
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

13 Oct 1915: Involvement Private, SN 3123, 16th Infantry Battalion
13 Oct 1915: Embarked Private, SN 3123, 16th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Themistocles, Fremantle
30 Oct 1918: Involvement Gunner, SN 3123, 7th Field Artillery Brigade

Help us honour Hugh Davies John's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

Births Sep 1892   John Griffith Hugh D  Narberth 11a 1064

Hugh was born on 19 July 1892, at Cresselly, Pembrokeshire, Wales, the son of William Davies John and Sarah Catherine John, of Cresselly Shop. His birth registration actually stated his first forename was Griffith.

 He had emigrated to Australia prior to 1914, where he worked as a Farmer. By the summer of 1915 the Australian Imperial Force was making a name for itself during the fighting at Gallipoli. Many young Australians flocked to join the AIF, to take part in this great adventure that the propaganda had promised them, and so on 25 June 1915 Hugh enlisted at Blackboy Hill into the Australian Infantry, after being turned down from the Light Horse. After training, Hugh was posted to the 10th Reinforcements for the 16th Battalion, AIF, and embarked at Fremantle aboard HMT Themistocles on 13 October 1915 bound for Egypt. Early in 1916 the Australian battalions that had fought on Gallipoli were divided up to double the size of the AIF, with half the men going to the new battalions, and the positions being taken up by reinforcements. As a result, Hugh was posted to the 48th Battalion, AIF. His service papers then show a long history of illness, with several spells in hospitals in England over the coming months. In June 1917 he was posted to the 7th Field Artillery Battery, Australian Field Artillery, and in August was shot in the buttocks while fighting at Ypres. Again Hugh was hospitalised, and it was not until February 1918 that he was back in France, but he was soon in hospital ill again. Yet again Hugh returned to action, but was wounded for a second time during October 1918, during the fighting around the Hindenburg Line, and returned home for treatment at the Red Cross Hospital, Sittingbourne. Sadly Hugh took ill here and died of pneumonia on 30 October 1918. He was 26 years old, and was brought home for burial at Minwear (St. Womar) Churchyard.

He is honoured on the Tenby (Greenhill School) War Memorial

Greenhill Secondary School, which is the old Greenhill Grammar School, contains two wooden war memorials, which commemorate the pupils who fell during both world wars.