Cyril George (Nick) BAKER

Poppy

BAKER, Cyril George

Service Number: 1904
Enlisted: 19 January 1915, Bendigo, Vic.
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 14th Infantry Battalion
Born: Margate, Kent, England, 1893
Home Town: Bridgewater, Loddon, Victoria
Schooling: Commercial School, Margate, Kent, England
Occupation: Mechanic
Died: Killed in action, Chocolate Hill, Gallipoli , 27 August 1915
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
LONE PINE MEMORIAL Panel 40.
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Bridgewater Memorial Hall & Honour Roll, Lone Pine Memorial to the Missing
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Jan 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1904, 14th Infantry Battalion, Bendigo, Vic.
17 Apr 1915: Embarked Private, SN 1904, 14th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Hororata, Melbourne
17 Apr 1915: Involvement Private, SN 1904, 14th Infantry Battalion
21 Jun 1915: Promoted AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, 14th Infantry Battalion, Egypt
9 Jul 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 1904, 14th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
27 Aug 1915: Involvement Lance Corporal, SN 1904, 14th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
27 Aug 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 1904, 14th Infantry Battalion, The August Offensive - Lone Pine, Suvla Bay, Sari Bair, The Nek and Hill 60 - Gallipoli

Help us honour Cyril George Baker's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

Births Sep 1893   Baker Cyril George  Thanet 2a 917
 

14th Bn.Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Lance Corporal Baker was 21 and the son of James Ernest and Clara Ann Baker, of Margate, England. He had answered the call in 1914 and had served as a trooper in the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles before serving with the AIF. He was the eldest son of James Baker, builder and decorator, whose firm celebrated their centenary in 1996 and which is still in business today as Baker & Sons (Margate) Ltd.

He is honoured on the Margate War Memorial 1914-18  located in Trinity Square.  Trinity Church provided a wonderful backcloth to the memorial but the church was all but destroyed by enemy bombing on 1st June 1943 and was finally demolished in 1960/61.  The site of the church is now a public car park.  The then Vicar of Margate (Canon S A Odom) suggested that the memorial should be moved from Trinity Hill to the north side of the upper High Street entrance to St John's Church.  That suggestion met with strong resistance from the public who demanded that the memorial should remain where it stood - and still stands. 

 

He is also honoured on the Margate War Shrine was unveiled on 26th April 1917 by the Mayoress, Mrs W Booth Reeve.  Originally the War Shrine comprised three panels but, as the list of names to be added to the Roll of Honour grew, a fourth panel was added and the design changed to incorporate that additional panel.

Read more...