Philip Llewellyn HOWELL-PRICE DSO, MC, MiD


HOWELL-PRICE, Philip Llewellyn

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 17 August 1914, Sydney, New South Wales
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 1st Infantry Battalion
Born: Mount Wilson, New South Wales, Australia, 11 September 1894
Home Town: Richmond (NSW), Hawkesbury, New South Wales
Schooling: Kogarah High School
Occupation: Bank Clerk
Died: Killed In Action, Broodseinde, Belgium, 4 October 1917, aged 23 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Commercial Banking Company of Sydney WW1 Honour Roll, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient), Municipality Of Waterloo Roll of Service No. 1
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

17 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Sydney, New South Wales
18 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, 1st Infantry Battalion, HMAT Afric, Sydney
18 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, SN Officer, 1st Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
25 Apr 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lieutenant, SN Officer, 1st Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
30 Jun 1915: Honoured Mention in Dispatches, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli, For continuous gallantry between 25 April and 5th May 1915 - Landing at ANZAC
15 Jul 1915: Honoured Mention in Dispatches, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli, Bravery in the field 25 May - 28 June 1915 ANZAC
10 Aug 1915: Wounded AIF WW1, Lieutenant, 1st Infantry Battalion, The August Offensive - Lone Pine, Suvla Bay, Sari Bair, The Nek and Hill 60 - Gallipoli, Severely wounded at Lone Pine. Evacuated to Mudros
23 Jul 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 1st Infantry Battalion, Battle for Pozières
4 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 1st Infantry Battalion, Mouquet Farm
4 Nov 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 1st Infantry Battalion, Flers/Gueudecourt
3 Mar 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 1st Infantry Battalion, Bullecourt (First)
9 Apr 1917: Transferred AIF WW1, Captain, 1st Division Headquarters
6 Jun 1917: Honoured Military Cross, Awarded the Military Cross
7 Jun 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Major, 2nd Infantry Brigade Headquarters
4 Oct 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Major, SN Officer, 1st Infantry Battalion, Broodseinde Ridge

Help us honour Philip Llewellyn Howell-Price's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"...Lieutenant (later Major) Philip Llewellyn Howell-Price DSO MC (1894-1917). He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the 1st Battalion AIF and subsequently served at Gallipoli in August-September 1915, where was mentioned in despatches for work in the Lone Pine battles. He also fought at Armentieres, France, in June 1916, for which he received the Distinguished Service Order, the Somme in July, Flers in November and at Bullecourt in March 1917. He was awarded the Military Cross and was later to die at Broodseinde, Belgium, on 4 October 1917." - SOURCE (

"Philip was born on 11 September 1894 at Mount Wilson and educated at Kogarah High School. He was a bank clerk and had served as a citizen soldier before enlisting in the 1st Battalion, A.I.F., as a private on 14 September 1914. He was commissioned second lieutenant four days later and embarked for Egypt on 18 October. The battalion landed at Gallipoli on 25 August 1915 and Philip was promoted lieutenant next day. He was mentioned in dispatches for work in the battle of Lone Pine, during which he was severely wounded. Returning after three months in hospital, he was one of the last to evacuate Gallipoli. He was promoted captain on 28 January 1916 and was awarded the D.S.O. for leading a raiding party near Armentières, France, on 27 June. He fought on the Somme in July, at Flers in November and was wounded at Bullecourt in March 1917. General Sir William Birdwood soon had him appointed to the staff of the 1st Anzac Division; he was promoted major on 7 June 1917 and attached to the staff of the 2nd Brigade. That month he was awarded the Military Cross. On hearing that his old battalion was going into action he begged to be sent back to it and on 4 October was killed in an artillery barrage at Broodseinde. His body was never recovered." - SOURCE (