Bruce Milton TAYLOR

TAYLOR, Bruce Milton

Service Number: 28300
Enlisted: 16 May 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 7th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Woodville, South Australia, 22 May 1894
Home Town: Medindie, Walkerville, South Australia
Schooling: St Peter's College, Adelaide
Occupation: Jackaroo
Died: Died of Illness, Adelaide, South Australia, 4 March 1919, aged 24 years
Cemetery: North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia
He was accepted by CWGC, after research, for commemoration as Great War dead on 24/08/2012
Memorials: Grange Public School Roll of Honor, Hackney St Peter's College Fallen Honour Board, North Adelaide Saint Cyprian's Anglican Church Roll of Honour, Roseworthy Agricultural College Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

16 May 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 28300, Adelaide, South Australia
25 Oct 1916: Involvement Driver, SN 28300, 2nd Field Artillery Brigade
25 Oct 1916: Embarked Driver, SN 28300, 2nd Field Artillery Brigade , HMAT Ulysses, Melbourne
28 Aug 1918: Discharged AIF WW1, Driver, SN 28300, 7th Field Artillery Brigade

Help us honour Bruce Milton Taylor's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


From the book Fallen Saints - Bruce Milton Taylor of Medindie, South Australia was born at Woodville, South Australia. He and his brother Guy attended the St Collegiate School of St Peter and later both served in the AIF. While at the School Bruce had served 9 months in the senior cadets and prior to enlisting in Adelaide on 16 May 1916 had been working in the bush as a Jackeroo. (Station hand). He was posted to A Company 2nd Depot Battalion at Mitcham where on 16 June he joined the 4th quota of reinforcements for the 50th Battalion. This was changed on 1 July when he was sent on a two-week course signals course and upon his return, he was reallotted to artillery corps. He sailed from Melbourne aboard HMAT Ulysses with the 21st quota of reinforcements for the 2nd Field Artillery Brigade on 25 October and marched in to Lark Hill Camp, England at the end of December.

In early August, he proceeded to France and was taken on the strength of the 7th Field Artillery Brigade at the end of November 1917. During the early part of 1918, he fell ill and was admitted to hospital sick with suspected tuberculosis on 17 March. When pulmonary tuberculosis was confirmed Driver Taylor was invalided back to Australia, declared as permanently unfit for general and home service and discharged from the army on 28 August; he died as a result of the disease on 3 March 1919.

His brother, Private Guy Taylor of the 10th Battalion who had contracted enteric fever at Anzac, was evacuated to a hospital ship but died of disease on 6 October 1915. When Mrs Elizabeth Taylor, their mother received only one form to complete concerning the death of Guy she wrote to the Secretary, Department of Defence asking why she had not received a form for Bruce.

She pointed out that the Military had discharged him as she was ‘in a position to have him nursed and given every comfort of home.’[i] 


[i] ibid,: B 2455, Taylor Guy Holbrook / 1930192, viewed 3 July 2005