Spurgeon Marshall WATSON


WATSON, Spurgeon Marshall

Service Number: 1339
Enlisted: 12 September 1914, Morphettville, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 16th Infantry Battalion
Born: Albert Park, South Australia, 31 October 1887
Home Town: Port Adelaide, Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia
Schooling: Alberton State School, South Australia
Occupation: Driver
Died: Died of wounds (received at Gallipoli), Alexandria, Egypt, 7 May 1915, aged 27 years
Cemetery: Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery
Chatby Military and War Memorial Cemetery, Alexandria, Egypt
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Sep 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Morphettville, South Australia
22 Dec 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1339, 16th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
22 Dec 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1339, 16th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ceramic, Melbourne
12 Mar 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1339, 16th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli

Help us honour Spurgeon Marshall Watson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Private Spurgeon M. Watson, 16th Battalion, 4th infantry Brigade, who died of wounds received in action in the Dardanelles was the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Marshall Watson, well-known residents of Albert Park, near Woodville, and a brother to "Joe" Watson, the Port Adelaide footballer, who also went to the front with the first contingent. Deceased was of a quiet and unassuming character and was liked by all who knew him. He was a member of the Amalgamated Timber Workers' Union.

Born at Albert Park on October 31, 1887, he received his education at the Alberton State School, after which he entered the employ of Messrs. W. E. Cave and Co. He worked at cattle droving for some time, and later went to Western Australia in charge of a big mob of cattle. On his return he was sent to Leigh Creek in connection with the copper mining industry for 13 months. From there he went to Macumba Station, beyond Oodnadatta, where he was employed for some considerable time with cattle, and was one of a party to travel with cattle from there through the bush to Hergott Springs. Having spent all his time in the interior, he went to Snowtown to work on the salt lakes, and from there to Gippsland (Victoria), travelling through the Gippsland district on foot. Returning to Port Adelaide a few years ago, he entered the employ of Messrs. Walter & Morris, leaving there to go with Messrs. Lewis & Reid, with whom he remained until the time be enlisted. Much sympathy is felt for Mr. and Mrs. Watson and family." - from the Adelaide Daily Herald 26 May 1915 (nla.gov.au)