Service Number: 1784
Enlisted: 18 January 1915
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 51st Infantry Battalion (WW1)
Born: Sebastopol, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, November 1895
Home Town: Victoria Park, Victoria Park, Western Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Grocer
Died: Railway accident, Northern, Western Australia, 11 November 1921
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Victoria Park War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

18 Jan 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1784, 11th Infantry Battalion
19 Apr 1915: Involvement Private, 1784, 11th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '10' embarkation_place: Fremantle embarkation_ship: HMAT Argyllshire embarkation_ship_number: A8 public_note: ''
19 Apr 1915: Embarked Private, 1784, 11th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Argyllshire, Fremantle
1 Mar 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 51st Infantry Battalion (WW1)
17 Jun 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Driver, 51st Infantry Battalion (WW1)
22 Jul 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Driver, 1784, 51st Infantry Battalion (WW1), 5th MD

Help us honour Joseph Jackson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From Western Australian Museum 

Driver ‘Joe’ Joseph Jackson (No. 1784, AIF)

Joe, a grocer from Victoria Park, was possibly related to ‘Lida’ and had lived in Boulder as a child. He sent her many postcards. He enlisted in the AIF, aged 19, on 18th January, 1915, joining the 11th Battalion at Gallipoli on 4th of June, 1915. Three weeks later he was evacuated with influenza to hospitals in Heliopolis and Helouan in Egypt, before re-joining the Unit at Gallipoli on the 17th July. Two weeks later he was involved in the Battalion’s bloody but successful preparatory attack on the Turkish line prior to the Australian attack on Lone Pine. Severely depleted, sick and exhausted the Battalion hung on at ANZAC until evacuation in December.

After Gallipoli, he along with half of 11th Battalion were transferred on 29th February 1916 to the newly formed 51st Battalion and deployed to the Western Front in June 1916. Joe was appointed ‘Driver’ of Battalion supply wagons. This was often dangerous as they had to endure frequent German shellfire on roads leading to the front. He survived the bloody battle of Pozieres but was again hospitalised in September 1917 with an ‘aonic hernia’ and again in October with an injury or wound to his right thigh. He was sent to Hurdcott and Weymouth Hospitals in England.

Perhaps not coincidently he re-joined the 51st from hospital on 4th April 1918 in the midst of desperate fighting around Dernancourt, France to stem the massive German spring offensive. This included participation in the attack on Villers-Bretonneux later in the month. In September the Battalion joined the successful final Allied offensive, participating in the attacks on the Hindenburg outpost line. Joe survived until the Armistice in November but was again hospitalised at Hurdcott, being described as ‘febrile’. He was eventually repatriated to Australia, arriving back 18th April 1919, nearly four and a half years after enlistment.


Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From Maureen Roberts 

Driver ‘Joe’ Joseph Jackson died in Northam, WA, 11 Nov 1921 he went to work for the Railways and died as the result of an accident while on duty. He joined the railways and lived with his father two brothers and sister in Merriden. His brother Alexander found him injured in the shunting yard at Merriden he had very severe injuries and the doctor said he needed to be sent to Perth for surgery. A special train took him with Alexander but he died on board at Northam so his body was taken to the Northam hospital. As a reult of Joseph's death new laws were made in the safety manuals, safety boots for shunters.

The Premier, in replying to Mr Mann in the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday, said he was not aware that the late Joseph Jackson, a shunter employed at Merredin station, met with fatal injuries on the 11th November. The evidence available was not conclusive that the injuries were caused through the deceased's boot catching in the fog at the points, holding him a prisoner, and through his being knocked down and passed over by several trucks. The Railway Department had always  encouraged the use of safety boots with elastic sides, and at one time made arrangements for supplies at a cheap rate; but the arrangement had fallen into disuse as the demand from the men had been insufficient.