Herbert Washington Tinning (Slab) ALLAN MM

ALLAN, Herbert Washington Tinning

Service Number: 3232
Enlisted: 28 July 1915, Lithgow, New South Wales
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: 4th Machine Gun Company
Born: Bathurst, New South Wales, 4 June 1898
Home Town: Bathurst, Bathurst Regional, New South Wales
Schooling: Bathurst High School
Occupation: Student
Died: Natural causes (sudden), Chatswood, New South Wales, 25 October 1951, aged 53 years
Cemetery: Northern Suburbs Memorial Gardens and Crematorium, NSW
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

28 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 3232, Lithgow, New South Wales
13 Oct 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 3232, 13th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
13 Oct 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 3232, 13th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Port Lincoln, Sydney
11 Apr 1917: Honoured Military Medal, Bullecourt (First)
19 May 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Lieutenant, 4th Machine Gun Company

Herbert Washington Tinning Allan

Herbert was 18 years old when he enlisted into the 13th Battalion AIF on the 11-08-1918, his next of kin is shown as his father James Tinning Allan of 72 Russell Street, Bathurst NSW. Herbert stated that he had 4 years prior service with the senior Cadets and had also served with the 41st Infantry CMF. Alan transferred to the 4th Machine Gun Company on the 04-05-1916 and appointed a L/CPL on the 19-03-1916 and was awarded the Military Medal:

“For continual good work in carrying messages during 27th and 29th August north west of POZIERES. On four different occasions he carried messages from the query to Headquarters and on each occasion these messages were carried under heavy shell fire”.

He was promoted Corporal 22-04-1917 and Sergeant 23-04-1917 and was awarded the French Medaille Militaire"

“ During the operations near RIENCOURT on the morning of the 11th April, 1917, Sergeant Allan who was in charge of a Vickers Gun displayed great gallantry and ability throughout a most trying and dangerous operation. His gun was in action between the first and second objectives but on the second objective being vacated he still held his ground keeping his gun in action until the infantry had retired to the first objective. He then dismounted his gun and again mounted it ready for action in the first objective covering the retirement of the infantry to its original position. He was unable to bring his gun team, but before abandoning it he put it out of action”.

Promoted Company Sergeant Major on the 04-05-1917 then Commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant on the 07-11-1917 his last promotion was Lieutenant on the 17-02-1918. Herbert was wounded in Action twice during his service 24-05-1918 gunshot to his left leg and 08-08-1918 gunshot to his right chest, arm and back and proceeded to Australian on the 09-12-1918.
Allan died on the 25-10-1951 aged 63 years old.
French Medaille Militaire, Listed in the CG 08-11-1917 Page 2938.

Showing 1 of 1 story