Edwin Arthur FREWIN

FREWIN, Edwin Arthur

Service Number: 678
Enlisted: 20 November 1916, Newcastle, NSW
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st Machine Gun Battalion
Born: Wickham, near Newcastle New South Wales, 23 June 1894
Home Town: Newcastle, Hunter Region, New South Wales
Schooling: Wickham Superior Public School, Wagga Wagga District High School
Occupation: Bank Clerk
Died: Killed in Action, Haricourt, France, 19 September 1918, aged 24 years
Cemetery: Templeux-le-Guerard British Cemetery
Plot I, Row E, Grave 29
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Bank of New South Wales Roll of Honour Book, Hamilton War Memorial, Leeton ANZAC Memorial Clock Tower and Memorial, Wickham Public School Great War Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

20 Nov 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 678, 1st Machine Gun Company, Newcastle, NSW
9 May 1917: Embarked Private, 678, 1st Machine Gun Company, HMAT Ulysses, Sydney
19 Sep 1918: Involvement Private, 678, 1st Machine Gun Battalion , --- :awm_ww1_roll_of_honour_import: awm_service_number: 678 awm_unit: 1st Australian Machine Gun Battalion awm_rank: Private awm_died_date: 1918-09-19

Help us honour Edwin Arthur Frewin's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Edwin Ernest and Anne FREWIN, of Hamilton, New South Wales. Born at Wickham, New South Wales.

EDWIN ARTHUR FREWIN, son of Mr. E. E. Frewin, Chief Clerk of Railways at Newcastle, was born at Wickham, Newcastle, on 23rd June, 1894. He was educated at the Wickham Superior Public School, and passed the Education, Public Service and Bankers’ Examinations while a student at the District High School at Wagga Wagga. He was a bright scholar with literary tastes, and won the Chanter Prize for an essay on the Riverina while at Junee Public School. His first examination resulted in an offer to join the Government service in the Under-Secretary’s Department of the Education Office, but he preferred a position in the Bank of New South Wales at Junee, which he took up on 30th September, 1910, serving subsequently at Temora in 1913, Cootamundra in 1914, and at Leeton, as assistant, in 1915.

He enlisted in the Broadmeadow Camp, at Newcastle, in April, 1916, and served on the Western Front with the 1st Machine Gun Battalion from 31st December, 1917.

He was practically in the line up to the time of his death on 19th September, 1918. There is an entry in his diary on this date, bearing the words “ In the line” ; this was written at Hargicourt at dusk. Privates McGlinn and F. J. Gates were with him working the gun when Private James left them at dusk for a few minutes and found on his return that all three men had been killed by a shell and the gun destroyed.

Source - Bank of NSW